3 way light switching.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help me?
I want to control 3 light circuits from 3 positions. I've got 2 3-gang switches, but can't get a 3-gang intermediate switch in the style I've chosen.
I've now bought a 3rd 3-gang switch as I believe that relays can be used and am hoping someone will have a diagram for this - anyone?

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about using relays to work with momentary switches? If so, you probably won't get those in the style you want. What style is it and have you considered modular switches?

Hi Sparkyspike, I must confess I don't know what a modular switch is.
I'm thinking that I should be able to use the normal 3-gang switches as inputs to a relay configuration that would control the lights as a 3 way switching circuit.

For modular do a search for MK Grid. I'd avoid relays at all costs tbh, althought they may work they are not part of a standard light circuit configuration.

Sponsored Links
Hi, can anyone help me?
I want to control 3 light circuits from 3 positions. I've got 2 3-gang switches, but can't get a 3-gang intermediate switch in the style I've chosen.
I've now bought a 3rd 3-gang switch as I believe that relays can be used and am hoping someone will have a diagram for this - anyone?

Sounds like a hard way of doing it.

If you do it in MK Grid Plus, you can get intermediate switch modules. I think the intermediate switches only come in 20A. For the 2-way switches at each end, you will likely want to use 10A switches, assuming that this is a 6A lighting circuit.

As well as white frontplates, there are a few different colours of metal as well.

Not only that but with wiring up 3 switches on a conventional switch it is damned hard work pushing the wired-up fitting back on to the wall. With MK Grid Plus, you can wire up each switch separately and just clip it into the frame, then put the front plate on when you're finished.

The MK Grid Plus system can look a little daunting if you haven't used it before, but in fact it is really easy to use. (It will almost certainly be a lot easier to figure out the MK Grid Plus system than it would be to design, build, site, and install a relay box.)

With MK Grid Plus, 3 switches go into a 2-gang/double-width box. You would need a 2-gang/double-width back box (and you may want to use an actual MK Grid Plus back box for this, though a normal 2-gang back box will normally work as well --- the deeper it is, the easier it is to wire up), a 3-module frame, a 3-module front plate, and 3 switch modules as necessary.

Note that the two lugs on the sides of the grid frame need to bear on to the front surface of your wall as this is how the assembly gets its depth-position reference. (They will be hidden by the front plate.) I usually found that I needed to make good the aperture edges with filler or epoxy putty where the frame lugs rest to get the assembly to sit just right.

Note whilst I have provided links into Gil-lec's website, I am not affiliated with them. Other suppliers also supply MK products. I just had a good result with Gil-lec.

Hi, can anyone help me?

If you use relays, you will have to put them all in an enclosure, and this enclosure will need to be (properly!) accessible for servicing.

I think in this case trying to cobble together a solution with relays when there is already a simple answer on the shelf is going to be more trouble than it's worth.

The french use latching relays. But they ned momentary switches - that spring back to off after you press them.

This means that can use infinite numbers of switches of any style to control one lighting circuit.

I have stayed in an 8 bedroom house in France that had 6 switches controlling the two hall lights together, and when you pushed the switches (and held them in), you could hear the relay upstairs becuse someone had fixed it loosely to a board. Clever. It didn't half rattle :LOL: They did the same in the lounge too, it had 4 doors and a switch by each door.

Grid switch is your best option. Lots of styles.
Your post and that link didnt tell us the style you are looking for.

Let us know - chrome, white, screwless, flat plate, etc
They are all available.

I've chosen Varilight's polished chrome screwless range.
Thyey do 2-gang intermediate switches but to get a 3-gang would mean using a grid system. I was trying to avoid this as I wanted all 3 switches to look the same.

Thyey do 2-gang intermediate switches but to get a 3-gang would mean using a grid system. I was trying to avoid this as I wanted all 3 switches to look the same.

Not necessarily - the switches used on the standard plates can usually be changed over, so although they don't have a 3 gang intermediate as standard, they may be able to assemble one, or send you the parts to do this.

If they did, it would probably be a double sized plate (4 gang).

Do all three in grid, then they'll all match :rolleyes:

Hi RF Lighting. They would all match but won't look like I want them to look.
That's why I like the relay idea. The switches will look good and it'll all work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back