3-way switching without intermediate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have had no luck finding a 3-gang intermediate light switch and don't want to use a grid arrangement ( unless you can get 3-way into a single size backbox).
I have read that it is possable to use a DPCO relay as an 'intermediate' switch, but not been able to find a diagram anywhere.
Could anyone please explain or direct me to a diagram?
Also, I am sure I would need 3 relays as there are 3 circuits. Can someone please advise me where to get them from.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Sponsored Links
DPCO relay..
2 sets of contacts..

connect NO on one set to NC of the other, and visa versa.
intput on the commons, output on the NO's..

The easiest thing to do would probably be to rearrange the wiring so that you don't need a 3G intermediate. If all three switches in the circut are to be three gang then your alternatives are a latching relay and momentary push switches, which you also aren't likely to find in 3G, or three DPCO relays to convert SP switches to intermediates. The first and second solution seem sensible, the third can be done, but it seems like a bit of a messy workaround.

You are creating an un-necessary nightmare! Are all 3 of the switches required at all 3 points or can you swop some of them to intermediate switches - the largest intermediate I have seen for a single patress is a 2 gang.

Sponsored Links
Choosing non standard for aesthetic reasons has it's pitfalls. Difficult to maintain and a high chance that the next person needing to work on the install won't have a clue.

Not sure, but where would you hide the DCPO relays and the transformer at 12 /24v ?

Go for grid via 3 way double plate. It's standard kit and there's no messing about with keeping the relays and xformers in a serviceable location.

MKK3633.JPG

Wouldn't just making the hole in the wall a little bit wider be the easiest thing all round?

why would you need transformers..?
you DO know you can get relays with mains coils don't you??

and since when would a complex relay system with momentary PB's be preferable to a straight DPCO relay and a regular 1W switch?

using X10 solves a lot of problems with complex switching and flexibility

using X10 solves a lot of problems with complex switching and flexibility

Yes, but using X10 creates a lot of problems with complex switching and flexibility
:LOL: I've had it in the house for years only one unit has failed so far, I just like the way i can create complex scene lighting and also security lighting when away

Click by scolmore and also MEM do a 3G grid switch on a 1G plate ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back