3 gang intermediate switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, does anyone know if there is a manufacturer that does 3 gang intermediate switches? Ive searched in vain, and don't really want to put a grid switch in the hall / on the landing, or faff about with relays if i can help it.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Whats wrong with grid switches? (besides price)

Manufacturers dont make such combinations off the shelf - theres no money in it - would you make 10,000 3 gang intermediates if you were only going to sell about 4 a week* across the country? No. Nor would you stock them if you ran a wholesalers or DIY store - spread that 4 per week across the country, and you'd sell on average 0 per decade. :LOL:

The above is the exact reason grid switches are made - you can have whatever wacky combinations you want then! ;)

*4 per week is a made up figure i plucked from thin air - demand could be less or more. :LOL:

If i was going to sell 4 a week across the country then no i wouldnt make 10000, id make 10003. ;)

Price is part of it, id have to use grid switches in the hall & landing, also the ones i have been looking at are a little on the large side. Ive accepted im going to have to use grid in the front room, but trying to avoid it here.

remember for a three way switching system only one of the switches needs to be an intermediate.

Sponsored Links
remember for a three way switching system only one of the switches needs to be an intermediate.

Yep, but id want to have matching switches, so they would all need to be grid. Unless anyone knows of any grid system where the grids are identical to the std switches, in size and look.

What I think plugwash was getting at is, can you use a standard 3gang two way switch at that position by making other switches use for each of the three arrangements either 1 gang or 2 gang intermediates which are plentifull.
It might mean rerouting the cables differently to what you proposed .
That is on a three way the two ends are two way switching and only the mid one is intermediate.
Four way the mid two are intermediate.
Five way the mid three.
etc etc

What I think plugwash was getting at is, can you use a standard 3gang two way switch at that position by making other switches use for each of the three arrangements either 1 gang or 2 gang intermediates which are plentifull.
It might mean rerouting the cables differently to what you proposed .
That is on a three way the two ends are two way switching and only the mid one is intermediate.
Four way the mid two are intermediate.
Five way the mid three.
etc etc

Ok thanks, but Just to clarify, I have 3 lights that i want 3 way control of, from the same 3 locations, so each switch needs to be 3 Gang, regardless of the location of the intermediate switches. Of course if there is a manufacturer selling 3 gang where 1 or 2 gangs are intermediate, and the remainder are 2 way then problem solved.

Wiring & Routing is not a problem, as the whole house is getting a rewire and new fittings ASAP and the ground floor ceiling is down so i have plenty of access.

I have discovered that the previous owners favorite trick was to wire twin and earth with the earth as the live / switched live (still sleeved with earth sleeving) and not worry about the earth, including extractor fans and metal light fittings, there are other issues but thats my favorite. The oddest thing though is that i have found some lights wired with 3 core and earth, but only using 2 of the cores, and no earth. joy. :-/

Robin28870 Thanks for the pointer re Scolmore, off to check them out, next requirement is that i want low profile screwless metal plates, preferably in black nickel. :D

Scolmore do a flat plate range in black nickel that take the interchangeable switches, but I don't think its screwless.

I think if you want all that in one package you'll need either Focus SB or GET - but it'll cost ya :)

Scolmore do a flat plate range in black nickel that take the interchangeable switches, but I don't think its screwless.

I think if you want all that in one package you'll need either Focus SB or GET - but it'll cost ya :)

Well im prepared to spend a bit to get what i want, but dont want to pay hundreds for 3 switches! :) Maybe i could change my plans and just have 2 of the lights as 3 way, but then i know i would be constantly having to walk down the stairs to turn the other one off!

I have looked at the GET switches, they are quite nice, but to get what i want i would have to use their grid system AFAIK.

Thanks for the pointer to Focus SB, I haven't looked at them yet.

Perhaps i could get away with making the switch on the landing different to the rest, as you would not be able to see any other switches at the same time as that one, but i think im limited in width to a single pattress box (tape measure time).

Nothing is ever straight forward :rolleyes:

a 2 gang intermediate and a 1 gang adjacent to each other (Left right or top/bottom) not feasable ?

a 2 gang intermediate and a 1 gang adjacent to each other (Left right or top/bottom) not feasable ?

I could do that, but would rather avoid it.

I have come across these if it helps anyone who comes across this thread in the future: http://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/3-gang-intermediate-dolly-switch-p-5293.html

But they are expensive, not screwless and by the looks of it similar to the Scolmore stuff, but do do rockers as well.

Im now seriously considering using 4TDP relays, then i could use a 3 gang 2 way switch that fits in a single pattress as the intermediate, and use the extra relay poles to turn the coil off after the relay is energised, as retractive switches would be a bit odd, and no doubt id have the same problem finding those. :confused:

Superurban, you DWEEB. You've dug up a SIX year old topic, and made us all read it again :rolleyes:

Here take that

and that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back