Intermediates and 2 way switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You lot sound like the kind of electrical genius's (or is that Genii) that I need.

The set up I had was: 1 gang switch in hall, controlling hall light; 1 gang swith on landing controlling landing light, and 2 gang switch on stairs with one switch controlling each light.

So when i went to replace the switches with spangly new one, I bought a 2 gang intermediate switch (i think) for the middle, and two 1 gang, two way switches for either end. I swapped them and replaced all the wires exactly as they were and now the lights only work in silly combinations of on and off.

I suspect that I may have needed a 3 way or 2 way switch for the middle, but i don't really know.

So firstly - what's the difference between an intermediate and a 2/3 way.

Secondly - what SHOULD I have done?

Cheers chaps.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you 2 gang switch on the stairs was just that a 2 gang not an intermediate switch.
The 2 gangs were probably wired for seperate 2 way switching, one for upstairs & one for down stairs, so your new intermediate is of no use.
An intermediate switch is designed to be used between the switches of a two way switced circuit.

You need a 2 gang 2 way switch in the middle not an intermediate switch. Your switch should have six terminals (excluding earth) if its got more or less its not correct.

The mind boggles at the random combinations you could be getting.

What did you want to end up with? Did you want both lights to work together or separately. We are assuming they used to work separately. Please correct if this is wrong.

Sponsored Links
Hi WT? I could be wrong but I doubt if it was a 2 gang intermeadiate you bought, even 1 gang are seldom seen.
You probablely have a 2 gang with 2 way switches. The terminals for each switch will the same, using 'com' L1 and L2. What cause confusion is that the adjacent switch is inverted so 'com' at the top has nothing to do with L1 and L2 at the top. likewise L1 and L2 at the bottom has nothing to do with 'com' at the bottom. Best to look at them as the left hand and the right hand switches. ( not top and bottom)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But if it is an intermediate, it can still be used as a 2-way, you just need to use the right terminals. An intermediate connects the terminals like this l l or like this X so if you treat one top corner as C, and the two at the bottom as L1 and L2, Robert will be your Father's brother.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back