2-gang intermediate switches

M

majormacmason

Hello all

I need/want to replace an old intermediate switch on a three-way lighting circuit, but am curious as to why there are so few 2-gang intermediate switches on the market

At the moment there are three switches.
Switch A is a two-gang switch that controls downstairs hall and porch.
Switch B is a two-gang intermediate switch that controls downstairs hall and stairs.
Switch C is a three-gang switch that downstairs hall, stairs and upstairs landing.

I would have assumed this is a fairly common set-up. If so, why such a lack of 2-gang intermediate switches? (I've only found one, from TLC) As the wiring is obviously quite old, is there a a simpler way of wiring the circuit without the need for a 2-gang intermediate switch?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Use a grid set up or if you don't want the intermidiate switch anymore join the incoming and outgoing strappers together and the commons together.

Try Click Scolmore, all of their switches are modular so you can have any configuration of switches on any plate you choose :)

One must assume that the 2 gang intermediate that you found at TLC wasn't exactly what you were looking for.....

Tell us what finish or type of 2g intermediate you want and advice will follow....

Sponsored Links
If you require intermediate switches for the operation of your hallway and stairway lights.
You need intermediate switches, simple as.
If you are not happy with the TLC ones go to your local electrical suppliers/wholesalers they will source one for you.
Your unlikely to find them at the sheds.
Alternatives would be grid switches or to replace the two gang with two singles (a little work will need to be done, for box sinking and cabling).

Contactum make 2 gang intermediate switches.

Don't know why more manufacturers don't make two or three gang intermediate switches, bearing in mind they can be used for one way or two way operation as well.

Having said that, intermediate switches can be expensive.

sounds very posh. :) Being able to control the downstairs hall from 2 flights of stairs up? But sensible too.

Contactum make 2 gang intermediate switches.
So do Varilight, in various flavours. As already mentioned, swapping modules with Click is another option, as, obvioulsy is grid switches.

Don't know why more manufacturers don't make two or three gang intermediate switches, bearing in mind they can be used for one way or two way operation as well.
Having said that, intermediate switches can be expensive.
Agreed, but in terms of both availability and cost, I presume the reason is low demand. If most/all switches were made as intermediate, the cost would undoubtedly come down a lot, but I'm sure that would be many mistakes made when wiring them for 1-way or 2-way operation :)

Kind Regards,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back