3 way switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just a quick, is this possible question. I currently have 3 way switching to my landing light, from the hall downstairs, the landing at one end and the landing at the other end. The intermediate switch is a 2 gang modular crabtree switch that looks rubbish - I have MK Logic Plus everywhere else. MK don't do a 2 gang switch with 1 2 way and 1 intermediate switch unless you go to their modular range, which I would prefer to avoid.

My current wiring diagram is below (all the colours are pre-harmonisation), would it be possible to have an intermediate switch in the top position (this is the only 1 gang switch) without rewiring? I've had a look and can't see a way round it but maybe people with more experience know a way?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
I don't think you can move the intermediate switch without re-wiring between the switches. Why don't you want to use the MK grid-switch range, they are virtually identical to the standard logic plus switches???

On a side note, in your diagram you have identified the black cable to the lamp as neutral, this is in fact the switched live to the lamp.

Thanks for that, spotted the neutral thing too - I'm a numpty. I'm not really in the mood for running more cable so I'll go and have a look at the MK grid stuff.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
I don't think they do, last time I checked anyway.

What is wrong with the grid system?

A 2-gang intermediate Logic Plus would probably be cheaper than a grid, and less faffing about.

But if they don't do one then that's irrelevant....

MK do not do a 2-gang Intermediate Logic Plus switch, as I have just looked in the MK Specification Guide.

You could use the Grid System, to get what you want.

If you want to move the intermediate to one of the end positions you will have to replace the wiring to that position.

Do you have room to fit two switches side-by-side i.e. a 1g Intermediate and a 1g2w? That way you can choose whichever switches you like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back