Changing mid position valve - Basic advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a newbie here and this is my first post so please be gentle.

I have a new Drayton MA1 mid position valve to replace the current one. The actual valve is broken off the spindle so everything gets hot (CH and HW simultaneously)

I was fairly confident about changing this over but had a quick look on the net to make sure I wasn't overlooking anything and now I'm not so sure...

I don't have an issue with draining the rads and it's straightforward as the draincock is on the lowest rad is by the back door.

What I'm concerned about and not experienced enough to get my head around is the hot water side of things. Baiscally I don't know what or where to drain it from or if I need to (will valves hold it)? I got confused about people using bungs instead of draining and comments about hot water cylinders collapsing started to really worry me.

I don't have a drain valve for the hot water cylinder, only isolation valves for either 'side' of the cylinder and either side of the pump. The mid position valve is about 1/3rd the way up next to the cylinder.

Sorry if this seems blinding obvious but it's only easy when you know how.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Rick!

I guess I just close the valve below the pump?

What about whats in the cylinder coil, how is this drained/isolated?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back