Changing P.C's and software etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy's

I'm about to up grade my PC from a 7 year old with windows 2000 to one with XP. However I have a shed load of info -settings and software etc- which I want to transfer over as I really don't want to lose it.

How do I transfer 20gig or so of info quickly and easily whilst not completely cloning?

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
The easiest way assuming that your new PC has an IDE connector is to plug the old hard drive into the new PC as a "slave" THe old HDD will appear in Explorer and you can copy your files across. Please note that this is only for your data. You can't copy the programs across, you will have to re-install them. You may be able to migrate some settings if you know what files to copy.

One alternative that has just sprung to mind. You could run an upgrade install XP onto the old PC, don't activate it, run the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard and transfer the file it creates to the new PC and import. This will migrate your files and data, software will need to be installed on the new PC first.

My recomendation would be to just copy your files. Install the software and set up from scratch. Far neater than trying to tansfer the settings.

If the environment on the old PC is valuable enough to you, then with some effort you could preserve it. The following process would work.

1. Remove the new drive from the new PC.
2. If your new disk is SATA then buy a PCI SATA card for your old PC.
3. Attach the new disk as a slave to the old PC.
4. Format that new drive to wipe it, and partition it as desired.
(The system partition size should exceed that of the old drive).
5. Clone the entire contents of the old drive to the new one.
'xxcopy' is the perfect tool for this.
6. Shut down the PC and make the new drive the master.
7. Remove the old drive and preserve it as a backup.
8. Boot from the new drive into W2K.
9. Run the XP upgrade process from CD.
10. Shutdown, and transfer the new drive to the new PC.
11. Boot the new PC and install relevant hardware drivers for its new environment.
12. Stand back in amazement.

Sponsored Links
Cloning is bad idea because you will be importing any dodgy info onto your new pc, and you could end up in a complete mess and possibly lose everything. Also I doudt if the programmes will work as they have been set up for windows 2000 and not XP.
Buy an external hard driveI, load all the stuff on to it and then connect and transfer to your your new pc. I'm sure a 100gb drive is less than £50.
This can also act as a back up to your new pc by using "synchtoy" free from microsoft.

You can also use a network cable betwwen the two computers but its a PITA.

I will simply say that I agree with holmslaw. My original recommendation of installing everything from scratch and simply copying your old data will present far less problems and leave you with a much neater install on the new PC. There is a great deal of difference between "Getting it working" and having it work well.

You question the use of cloning, and I can understand your suspicion of it if you're not very experienced, but I successfully do a lot of it.

Upgrading from W2K to WXP will leave an awful of applications still functioning. Norton won't of course, but you only have to look at an old version of NAV for it to have a hissy fit.

My suggestion isn't the only way, but it gives the OP another option. And it's one that happens to work, despite you seeming to think it doesn't.

The op has aked the question because he is unfamiliar with the process, therefore he needs a simple solution.

1 Remove the new drive from the new PC

How does he do that?

2. If your new disk is SATA then buy a PCI SATA card for your old PC.

So he's got to buy something, only to use it once.

3. Attach the new disk as a slave to the old PC

How does he do that, I think by now the op is totally baffled.

4. Format that new drive to wipe it, and partition it as desired.

So here is with a new hard drive probaly pre loaded with Vista, and your telling hime to format it and therefore completely delete his operating system.

12. Stand back in amazement

Cos all you've got now is two boxes full of electronic components that no longer work, and all your important info has gone up the swannie. And when you take it back to the shop and tell them what you've, they will say "Are you mad and no you can't have your money back.

My original recommendation of installing everything from scratch and simply copying your old data will present far less problems and leave you with a much neater install on the new PC.
You advocate neatness - fair enough, but at what cost? You haven't answered the OP's concern - you haven't told him how to successfully copy the "old data" to which you breezily refer.
The cost is time. The benefits of a clean install in my opinion make it worth it. We all know how Windows gets bloated with redundant files and registry entries over time as applications are installed/uninstalled/upgraded and as Windows updates itself. As long as the software to be used was legally obtained, the OP should have install files/media to re-install. My original post said to slave the old HDD to copy the data off. Other methods are also viable such as using an external HDD caddie or serial connection. or even with crossover cable.

You question the use of cloning, and I can understand your suspicion of it if you're not very experienced, but I successfully do a lot of it.
This works if source and destination hardware is very similar. I too have a lot of experience of cloning and would not advocate it's use in this instance. Cloning a 7 year old PC and putting it onto a brand new PC it pot luck at the best of times. The chances of a successful boot would be at best 30% what if the new PC is SATA rather than IDE. Even if it is IDE then the controller is probably different. You are far more likely to end up with a blue screen that says inaccessible boot device.

Upgrading from W2K to WXP will leave an awful of applications still functioning. Norton won't of course, but you only have to look at an old version of NAV for it to have a hissy fit.
How do you know? You are making assumptions, the OP hasn't said what software he is using

My suggestion isn't the only way, but it gives the OP another option. And it's one that happens to work, despite you seeming to think it doesn't.
It works in certain circumstances and has a far less chance of working here than other methods suggested. Although as you said in your first post and I agreed with you, if the setup is valuable enough to the OP then it's worth a go, as the only thing you would lose is the factory installed OS on the new PC which is probably supplied on a CD and can be restored.

network the two pc's and transfer the data is another option.

Richard,

If the new PC has a Network card fitted then you only need one of these for the old computer if it does not already have one:
PCI 10/100 Network Card £5.81
http://tinyurl.com/2n72xv

If your new PC does not have one then you will need two cards, one for each computer.

Instructions with pictures about how to install PCI cards.
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/ITS/faq/resnet02/startup/res3a.shtml

You will need just one cable.
Cat 5e Cross Over Cable £4.99
http://tinyurl.com/3cyd4x

Instruction about how to use the transfer wizard.
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-01.html

dave

Hi guy's

I'm about to up grade my PC from a 7 year old with windows 2000 to one with XP. However I have a shed load of info -settings and software etc- which I want to transfer over as I really don't want to lose it.

How do I transfer 20gig or so of info quickly and easily whilst not completely cloning?

Cheers

Richard

Install your new XP O/S & transfer your existing data (I think that's already been explained) to a separate partition on your new system - ALWAYS keep your data on a separate logical partition! Think twice/thrice before installing any software more than 3 years old unless you can get a free upgrade or patches guaranteed to work with XP; for the inexperienced it’s probably more trouble than it’s worth especially (although it's not supposed to be) if your now running a 64 bit processor! As always, there are ways around these problems if you know how!

Sponsored Links
Back