Changing programmer question..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have changed a Switchmaster 400 programmer for a Horstmann 425 Diadem electro-mechanical programmer. The customer has now said it is not working properly, however I am not sure what is happening. What I was wondering, is on the old Switchmaster 400 there is connection '2' which doesnt show what it does, see the picture:

Link to the new Horstmann programmer:
http://www.horstmann.co.uk/downloads/ElectronicDocuments/Central-Heating/425-InstallationGuide.pdf

There was 2 wires going to this connection but I have left them with the new programmer just in a connector, as I thought terminal 2 on the Switchmaster was being used as a connector. Or is terminal 2 'hot water off'??

I'm not sure what the heating system type is (ie Y / S plan etc).

The Switchmaster 400 has settings for 'water' or 'heating and water' and no option for just heating...

All help appreciated as I need to go back tommorow and sort this..

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It looks like you are correct, I.e its just a loop terminal.

Could possibly be HW OFF, incorrectly marked up I suppose?

But its not working with the connection in a terminal block!? So think it muct be something else?! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
its more likey connected to a switchmaster 3 port valve (blue)
then it don't need a hw off as its 6 wires on a switchmaster not 5 and doesn't have a hw off.

You could power up the old switchmaster on a bench and connect a flying lead to terminal 2. Then switch the hot water and central heating 'on' and 'off' whilst connecting a multimeter across terminal 2 and the neutral to find out if it ever becomes 'live' or not.

Many programmers have a switch and or stop to allow the same programmer to be used with motorised valve control of domestic hot water and thermo-syphon control. One has 16 options the other is much reduced.

Thanks for all your replys, she phoned back this morning saying that now she thinks it is working properly, shes getting on and I think doesnt quite understand the new programmer! For your info, terminal 2 is not connected, there is no pin on the programmer!! Thanks anyway. Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back