changing secondary HE ariston a23/mffi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How easy is it to change the secondary HE on an Ariston a23/mffi.
I have been told its very easy.
Do I need to bleed the whole central heating system to do it.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Asking if you need to bleed the central heating system doesn't get us off to a confident start :p

You would at least need to drain the system to bellow the level of the boiler or use the boiler isolators on the flow and return and drain the boiler.

I wouldn't advise using the isolators in case they weep after

LOL.
I didn't really explain myself very well did I.

I know the physics of gravity and pressure but was just wondering if by not draining the system I would maybe be just pushing the crud elsewhere and by draining and refilling it would clear it better. Just didn't want to cause more issues than I started with.

PS: thanks for replying though, much appreciated.

Job done :D

20 mins tops to drain & change. Now system working like new on HW side.

Wouldn't like to think what it would have cost if I had got an engineer out to do it.

Sponsored Links
If you lived close to me then £136 inclusive!

But then that would include a basic service and readjusting the gas settings!

Tony

WOW... That's a good markup for 20mins work (probably quicker for you as it was the first time I had done one).

Just need to powerflush the system now.
Quoted from between £300 to £500 for the job. So again rather than be robbed silly I'm gonna hire a power flush (£35 from Jewsons) + buy some fluid (£20) and do it myself.

And at which part will you be attending the course and practical experience to learn how to do power flushing?

Where does 20 minutes come into the equation?

Tony

WOW... That's a good markup for 20mins work (probably quicker for you as it was the first time I had done one).

Just need to powerflush the system now.
Quoted from between £300 to £500 for the job. So again rather than be robbed silly I'm gonna hire a power flush (£35 from Jewsons) + buy some fluid (£20) and do it myself.

Thats why i have stopped giving advice on here now, just had my van serviced parts £70 , total cost £200 but your paying to get the job done right. you dont hear me moaning

Paul

The part I will be learning about power flushing is Google and Youtube. Time served engineers helping us guys save some cash with helpful advice and videos. (its served me well up to now). Power flushing a CH system is hardly rocket science. (+ I am a time served 25 years experienced engineer).

Lightning. I did the job right....didn't I? HW works perfectly now, no noise when heating HW + saved some cash in the process.
To be honest the only way I know its done right is of I do it. I have been conned stupid by time served heating engineers before time and time again and just got fed up of it. They have replaced multiple parts until they find the problem....but charge you for all of them not just the faulty part. (would you except that from your car mechanic?).

I couldn't have done it wrong if i tried.
Bleed boiler / Undo two screws / remove HE / Remove old Orings / replace with new orings / aligns screw holes / tighten screws. (and I was quoted some ridiculous prices for doing that by time served engineers.)

Sorry if I seem a bit out of sorts but this forum is supposed to be for help but all I ever hear is .. get an engineer to do it or derisory comments when all people want is some help or advice.

You probably could have cleaned your old plate to plate with acid.

If your system is sludged up, your new plate to plate will block and will need to be cleaned.

Power flushing isn't rocket science when it all goes to plan, it's the knowledge to deal with issues when it doesn't that is.

It's a fine line engineers have to walk between what advice they can and can't give, this can be frustrating for some.

Thanks Terry. I appreciate your advice.
Always calm collected and very helpful.
When you talk I listen.

I will power flush ASAP (think main HE needs a good clean as well) + gonna get someone to check boiler over once done.

Thanks again Terry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back