Charging a car battery by driving it

Sponsored Links
Or maybe he drives a 'touring car' with the little jacks on each corner....I guess then he would need the battery to get the engine started to run the hydraulic pump that supplies the jack pressure! :LOL:

stevesey said:
Serious or not - I'd like to know Softus' normal method of putting the car on axle stands (i.e. the one that requires a charged battery) :eek:
keyplayer said:
Yes, I'd like to know that as well. Maybe Softus has a set of powered stands. Presumably 12 volt.
JohnD said:
I think he had ramps in mind.
stevesey said:
Well I never :D
Yes - JohnD got it.

Well, I said I was tired. :oops:

However, my underlying point was this:

How is freddymercurystwin's suggestion going to work? The one where he runs the engine (axle stands, crane, anti-gravity device; whatever) to charge the battery, when the battery is too flat to start the engine, hmm?

Softus said:
stevesey said:
Serious or not - I'd like to know Softus' normal method of putting the car on axle stands (i.e. the one that requires a charged battery) :eek:
keyplayer said:
Yes, I'd like to know that as well. Maybe Softus has a set of powered stands. Presumably 12 volt.
JohnD said:
stevesey said:
Yes - JohnD got it.

How is freddymercurystwin's suggestion going to work? The one where he runs the engine (axle stands, crane, anti-gravity device; whatever) to charge the battery, when the battery is too flat to start the engine, hmm?

Maybe he could spin the wheels really really fast by hand and get it to bump start! :D

Sponsored Links
I was tired when I posted something stupid. What's your excuse?

Okay I'll take the bait!

Firstly;

freddymercurystwin said:
Softus said:
Do you have a way of getting a car onto axle stands when its battery is flat?

Did you think I was being serious?

Secondly;

The original poster wanted to know for how long he should run his engine in order to keep the battery topped up not how to get it started in the first place!

:eek:

freddymercurystwin said:
Okay I'll take the bait!
There wasn't any. :confused:

Firstly;
freddymercurystwin said:
Softus said:
Do you have a way of getting a car onto axle stands when its battery is flat?
Did you think I was being serious?
This has long since been answered.

Secondly;

The original poster wanted to know for how long he should run his engine in order to keep the battery topped up not how to get it started in the first place!
And... your answer is.... :?:

Well the technical answer is obvious: he needs to find out what amperage his alternater is chucking out and at what rpm and depending on his battery and what the demand on the battery is for starting the engine it should be possible to ascertain exactly for how long he would need to run his engine for. Any autoelectrician worth his salt would be able to tell him that in no time I'm sure.

Very good. Now lets see if you can backpedal so quickly on one of these:

knock27.jpg

Softus said:
stevesey said:
keyplayer said:
JohnD said:
stevesey said:
Yes - JohnD got it.

The penny farthing just reminded me, does this car not have neutral:cool:

Softus said:
stevesey said:
keyplayer said:
JohnD said:
stevesey said:
Yes - JohnD got it.

I must say I'm disappointed. I thought you may have modified your vehicles to easily lift them quickly off the ground. You know, to enable you to make checks you otherwise wouldn't be able to. Like, o I dunno, checking all your tyres for nails for instance. Because otherwise, how would you know, unless the tyre had gone down? And I'm sure crafty would have paid you handsomely to do his as well. :LOL:

Yes, OK, here I am on the floor - everyone come and kick me gently. ;)

pappyon said:
My car is normally only out of the lockup once a week to be driven a distance of about 4 miles, and invariably it is very hard to start in this weather.

On more than one occasion I have to call out the AA because it wouldn't start at all.

For how many miles would I have to drive the car and at what speed to ensure that the battery is well enough charged that it will start OK on the one day of the week that I want to use it?
Don`t get into 5th gear....keep the engine spinning in 4th ;) that`ll help more than the 4 pages of bo-lox I`ve just read :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back