Chased electrical wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few questions regarding electrical wiring. I am going to install the sockets and lighting for my new kitchen extension. I have sent the application off to building control and have an electrician that will test and certify the work when i am done. I have also read up on Part P as well as followed some of the NVQ 2 course work for electrical installation so i think i am prepared. Before i begin i have a few questions that i cant find an answer too.

1. If i put double sockets above the work surfaces in the kitchen, do the sockets need to be at any specific height or position?

2. If i put wiring behind plasterboard do i need to use galvanised capping and if so does it need to be earthed?

3. Can i run the under counter lights off of the lighting circuit?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
1, have a peep at the electricians guide to the building regs, it covers things like the distance from the edge of a sink or cooker, height wise use common sense.
2, Don't really need to use it. Capping is used to protect from damage from the plasterers trowel. Using oval conduit is a good idea though - allows cable to be pulled through without destroying the wall.
3, yes.

3/ Or an fcu fused at 3A off a socket then if your main lights trip you will still have some form of lighting.

Sponsored Links
Consider your tiling when working out the height of your sockets. You don't want to end up with a socket in the middle of a tile. Sit it on or over a grout line. 1050mm from floor level will normally work for 6" tiles. Also allow room for plugtop flex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back