chasing in cables...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, long time lurker, first time stupid questioner...

We've just had a complete re-wire done and are now having the kitchen re-fitted. We've taken it back to the brick in most places and have a plasterer coming at the weekend. in order to save time / money on the re-wire we didn't have anything chased into the wall (everything was coming off later anyway).

Before he gets his hands on it i need to do the chasing and this will be my first time... so...

Should I;

a) cut the channels and leave the wires loosly in the cuts for the plasterer to plaster in? (securing the plug / switch boxes obviously)

b) cut the channels and use some sort of adhesive (gripfill?) to secure the cables so the plasterer can go straight over them?

c) buy a load of trunking and put that in the cuts, my worry with that is if my cuts aren'tt dead straight it could turn into a pain in the neck... but i understand that doing such would make a re-wire easier. having JUST had the re-wire done we don't intend to that for some time...

Any advice will be greatly recieved!

Sponsored Links
ahh ok, that looks perfect, cheers...

The problem comes down as always to cost vs competance. i think i'm capable but if the first couple of cuts go too badly then yeah, i'll have to shell out for a professional before i do too much damage

I'm rapidly learning (first time buyer, house needs a LOT done on it) that if i don't try something myself then i never will learn and it'll cost a fortune. i've also learned that some things are definitely best left to the professional (aborted plasterboarding expiriment for instance).

thanks for your response.

plasterboarding is very easy compared to wiring.
If you are having wires in the wall then they need to be protected by the steel capping.
You shouldn't need anything chasing into the wall as the browning and plaster should cover over the thickness of the wire unless you are having some heavy duty wiring put in

Sponsored Links
great, thanks for the advice!

I guess it depends on your defenition of easy, i'll take cables and electrcity over 28KG lumps of PB that are too long to go round landings and too heavy for me to hold up on my own let alone get flush anyday.

plasterboarding is very easy compared to wiring.
If you are having wires in the wall then they need to be protected by the steel capping.
You shouldn't need anything chasing into the wall as the browning and plaster should cover over the thickness of the wire unless you are having some heavy duty wiring put in

They don't have to be physically protected by anything. As it's a new circuit it will/will have to be rcd protected anyway.

Unless buried more than 50mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back