Chasing lighting cables into wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I want to put some wall-mounted lights into our bedroom on either side of the bed, with a dimmer switch below. One-way switched to keep it simple.

It's a semi-detached house, and the wall in question is the adjoining wall with next door. Looks like it's plasterboard mounted directly onto the breeze blocks, no gap - so it seems that my only option is to chase the cables into the wall.

The depth of the chases will be not much more than 10mm unless I go into the breezeblocks which I really don't want to do if I can avoid it.

- I guess than 10mm is nowhere near deep enough to hold any kind of trunking?

- I gather from what I've been reading that they won't require capping since the cables will run vertically up from the lights/switch to the loft. Am I correct?

Cheers,

Chris.

Sponsored Links
You often find the plasterboard is not tight to the wall - the dabs of board adhesive will keep it off slightly.

Cut your metal back box in first, and see what gap there is before you start chumping at the wall with a stanley, padsaw and old screwdriver!

I was hoping that there would be a sufficient gap to feed the cables down, but I can't see one. I'll have another look when I do the cutouts for the back boxes though.

The wall is going to be repainted (and coved) so it's no big deal if I do have to cut the plaster and make good again, just a hassle if I ever need to get at the wiring again :)

Sponsored Links
While I'm here... how do I affix the capping to the wall, bearing in mind that I'll be going into breeze block?

Ta,

Chris.

No need for capping if you are going to fill the hole yourself. Capping is to protect the cable from the plasterers trowl - nothing else.

Make your chase the width of the cable, and secure the cable to keep it home every so often. Then fill your chase. On a small narrow chase like that, on plasterboard, it can be far better to use a powdered filler mixed up rather than a messy plaster. Do one coat, let it dry, do a finish coat, sand if required.

I thought perhaps the capping would help if I ever needed to replace/remove cabling after the chase has been filled - it has enough space for the cable to slide freely up and down inside the capping.

Anyway, I've already done one chase wide enough for the capping so I suppose I might as well make use of it :)

Thanks for all the advice, this really is a top notch forum!

Chris.

Capping is to protect the cable from the plasterers trowl - nothing else.

That's good to know - I was worrying about having to put capping over my new wiring.

I'm not sure if I'll be doing my own 'filling' or not, as I'll be having a plasterer in to do some work anyway. Opening up a channel wide enough for capping seems a pain. What's the best alternative - oval trunking?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back