Chasing depth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to chase a cable into the wall above the sink in my bathroom, and mount a light on the wall. The cable will run vertically and connect to the lighting circuit via an existing ceiling light rose.

How deep does the cable need to be in the wall?

Also, can it be capped, or does it need to be in conduit?

If capping is ok, can it be plastic, or does it have to be metal?

Thanks!

Bertie

Sponsored Links
Are you aware of the other regulations regarding electrical work in a bathroom and concealed cables ?

Are you aware that this work is notifiable under Part P of The Building Regs. ?

Sponsored Links
Hi Ricicle

I'm aware that there are regulations, but I don't know if I know what they all are yet.

Regarding notifying, this is part of a larger renovation project for which building control is already involved.

The circuit won't be "livened" up yet - I'm just chasing in this cable so that the plasterer can plaster. I will be taking pictures before he plasters, so that the registered electrician can see later on what I've done. If he doesn't like it then I'll have to do it again, but I'm prepared to take that risk.

Do you know the answers to my technical questions?

The cable (and it's capping) needs to be deep enough for the plaster skim to just cover it.

It will need protecting by 30mA RCD due to it's depth but will need to be on a RCD anyway due to it being a bathroom circuit, so you will need to incorporate the rest of the bathroom lighting circuit on to the RCD.

Steel or plastic capping is fine.

Regarding notifying, this is part of a larger renovation project for which building control is already involved.
When you submitted your application for Building Regulations approval what did you say would be the way that the electrical work would comply with Part P?

I will be taking pictures before he plasters, so that the registered electrician can see later on what I've done. If he doesn't like it then I'll have to do it again, but I'm prepared to take that risk.
Why not ask his advice now?

Why not ask his advice now?

Didn't you see BAS, he's very busy, he is on holiday for a year, he has fallen ill, he has fallen off the ladder, he is ficticious, he is in hospital, in the morgue, in an area with poor signal. He doesn't like to be bothered with questions about work which he is going to sign off as being his own and gladly face all concequenced, legal and moral, should something go wrong.

I will be taking pictures before he plasters, so that the registered electrician can see later on what I've done.
Is that what the inspector told you to do?

I recently completed some work in the kitchen and I was told to call in the inspector for 'first fix' inspection before plastering.

My builder told me of a local building inspector who accepted a mobile phone photo as proof that foundations had been dug deep enough.

My builder told me of a local building inspector who accepted a mobile phone photo as proof that foundations had been dug deep enough.

I know the owner of a house where the inspector saw the trenches were deep enough but did not see the rubble and soil being thrown back in before the concrete ( now much reduced in volume and cost ) was poured.

But a neighbour did see the cheating builder's actions and the whole lot ( including hardened concrete ) had to be dug out.

More power to the building inspectors.

It's done now - insulation resistance tested before and after plastering.

All is good. Thanks to the people who helped :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back