Kitchen sockets and cooker.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:rolleyes: now to put some new cabling in, but all the existing wiring is in the wall cavities. What is the regs on this plz.

I am also tempted to run the cables horizontally around the walls behind the kitchen cabinets. Is this allowed? Can I

1) use conduit or clips
2) chase hrizontally.

thx

Bertie

Sponsored Links
Not sure what's meant by your first part of the question - all unused cables at your installation should be removed.

You must provide protection for PVC/PVC cable. vertical drops can be in plastic conduit and all other planes should be done in metal conduit (ie angled and horizontal runs)

A short cut could be to put the cable in trunking behind the cabinets or around the wall under the cabinets. This can be fixed in all planes.

Inspector said:
You must provide protection for PVC/PVC cable. vertical drops can be in plastic conduit and all other planes should be done in metal conduit (ie angled and horizontal runs)

hmmmmmmmmm........

Any takers........

il78 said:
Inspector said:

hmmmmmmmmm........

Any takers........
Ditto :confused:

Sponsored Links
A friend has emailed me a scnned copy of the IEE's On Site Guide and it does not allow angled runs? Or am I reading this wrong?

I have learnt a lot about what I may have been doing wrong, and it does not recommend horizontal runs unless at certain locations on a wall. Sounds to me like Inspector has in wrong, Like I say, I have only read it quickly so i may be wrong, can someone clear this up please.

you can run a cable any way you like, HOWEVER most would expect that a socket cable runs verticaly down, and a light switch vertically up.

this way when "hanging a picture" you assume the cables will be no wher you are (since you shouldn't hang a picture above a light switch for the afore mentioned reason)

angled runs must be protected by earthed metal conduit

Cheers plugwash
At last someone who knows what they're talking about.
Angled runs are required rarely but are sometimes necessary to avoid door lintels etc.

Well Im sure not gonna remove the existing cabling that is in the cavities, as its not obsolete. Im just installing another couple of sockets and a second cooker point for the hob.

Besides the cavity wall insulation is rockwool, and I dont believe there are any issues with that as such regarding cable deterioration.

I would also defy anyone to try and pus some foam in there too. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back