cooker wiring between solid brick wall and plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wiring for the electric cooker ran originally from the consumer unit under the landing floor across to a brick wall dividing kitchen and dining room.It then ran down behind plaster in steel conduit to the cooker switch.

I have now made the dining room into the kitchen and want to run the cable a couple of feet to the side, through the wall into the new kitchen.The existing brick wall for various reasons has been studded and plasterboarded to give a neater run to the wall .The cavity between the plasterboard and brick wall being approx 3".
My question is can I run the new cable inside round plastic conduit on the surface of the brick wall but behind the plasterboard.
I have drilled a hole through the wall put a piece of conduit through hole to back of the cooker switch pattress, then plastic conduit beneath the plaster and tiles down to the cooker connection plate.
Do I have to run conduit from the consumer unit between the landing floor to the wall or can the cable be clipped along the joist?

I have done lots of electrical work over many years but with the 'new' regs thought I had better check.
Thanks, B

Sponsored Links
It then ran down behind plaster in steel conduit to the cooker switch.
More likely that was steel capping. The key thing about that is that it does not count as mechanical protection for cables outside accepted zones.

My question is can I run the new cable inside round plastic conduit on the surface of the brick wall but behind the plasterboard.
By the sounds of it, no.

You would either need an accessory on the wall on the side where the cable runs, or you'd need to use steel conduit.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

What are your plans for testing?

I have done lots of electrical work over many years but with the 'new' regs thought I had better check.
Thanks, B
Also are you aware that electrical work in kitchens is notifiable, and you are required to get Building Regulations approval in advance if you DIY?

Also will the cable be extended/jointed and joint hidden/buried?
As this will also require to be compliant to wiring regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back