Routing of visible wiring to cooker switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on installing an electric oven and was hoping to have some questions answered. Like most people I have done a lot of electrical work before but am weary since the legislation came in. ( I have let building control know...) The consumer unit is in the garage (adjacent to kitchen). There is a 16metre run from the cooker switch to consumer unit. Taking into account increase in resistence due to conduit I am using 6mm cable as the cooker requires a 32amp mcb as stated in cooker technical specs.

-Does the cable have to be mechanically protected in conduit even if it is run along high walls and entirely visible?
-Do the restrictions of 'no horizontal runs' and 15cm away from walls still apply when cables are on the surface not behind plaster?
-If I protect the cable in conduit can I make vertical and horizontal runs?
-Once the cable reaches the end of the garage I'll make a hole in the wall going straight into the junction box on the other side in the kitchen. Is this OK?
-From the cooker switch to the cooker I am planning on running the cable behind the existings units. I can't conduit the cable here due to access, is this OK?

Sorry for all these questions, am new to this forum so apologies in advance if I sound really stupid. :D

Sponsored Links
Let's start at the beginning.

What is the maximum load on the ratings plate of this appliance?

Is it an oven or a cooker?

Thanks for your really quick reply.. :D
The cooker takes 5.2kW of loading. I make that 22.61amps. The distance is a 16metre run. (Trying to use my degree in electronics but it was a long long time ago..:)

Sponsored Links
Then it's an oven, not a cooker.

There is no electric hob with that?

5.2kW is indeed 22.61A at 230V.

So a 32A circuit in 6mm² should suffice at 16m, even if insulated.

dynomo said:
Come in JohnD, JohnD will rescue you, he always helps me :)

too busy looking at my kitchen floor.

I think trunking would be an idea in the garage, to protect the cable from impact.

Can I run it however I like (vertically, horizontally, diagonally) or are there still some restrictions in place for this?

OK..Thankyou..

final question... Can I run them up to corners where two walls meet or am I limited to 15cm away?

Kindest Regards,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back