chasing PIR for cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've done a Search and although lots of people have this issue there doesn't seem to be an answer anywhere.

I have 95mm studs with 90mm pir insulation so pretty much flush. How do I run my cables?

Options I see are:

1/chase the pir out? (centre or on edge of stud?)
2/run externally on plasterboard
3/batten the walls to make a void
4/run externally under cladding and run through building

Only option 1 seems to make any sense to me?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
PIR passive inferred device, periodic installation report, now it seems yet another. I have use wifi and bluetooth, there are other wireless options, but you need to explain what you want to do, and before using letters it needs explaining what those letters mean, RADAR = Radio direction and ranging for example.

Firstly the cables must be, if less than 50mm. from the finished surface, installed in what we call 'safe zones'.

See: https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls

It will be better for the cables if they are in contact with the plasterboard so, can you not just route the cables in front of the insulation and then fit the plasterboard?

Sponsored Links
@ericmark
There’s so many abbreviations out there but:
What is PIR Insulation?
PIR, also known as polyisocyanurate, is one of the most popular types of insulation in construction.

@bluebaron
As EFLI says
Your cables need to have plasterboard or stud on one side.

Ok so I can either run them straight down the front of the celotex (chase it out a bit) and plaster over or run them down the edge of the stud (being careful not to nick them with plasterboard screws when I fix).

Ok so I can either run them straight down the front of the celotex (chase it out a bit) and plaster over or run them down the edge of the stud (being careful not to nick them with plasterboard screws when I fix).
The route will depend on the location of the destination socket/switch etc. The cables must run in the recognised zones.
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back