Cheap and cheerful!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have just created a utility room by partitioning off part of the back of my garage. Partition wall is 1200 x 2400 plasterboards. want to paint wall but dont want to skim it - will be mostly covered by units and the room is rough and ready anyway (other 3 walls are bare brick).

What is the shortcut? Some kind of filler I can past over joints/screw heads that can then be painted?

Advice appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How noticeable are the joins? Square or feathered?

Did you use screws or nails?

Galvanised or just steel?

joins are not too bad - just used standard plasterboard so edges are slightly rounded but not chamfered.

used screws - the horible black drywall screws from screwfix that fill your fingers with splinters!

if youve used square edge it doesnt matter what u do ull see the joins unless you skim it because even if you use joint filler when you rub it down and paint it you will still see it needs to be the feather edged boards for drylining if its 1 wall a plasterer wouldnt charge you much where are you ill come and do it for ya!!

Sponsored Links
I have a mate who will skim it for me for free but I didnt think it was worth the hassle as I am not really bothered about the appearance only making it a little better than bare plasterboards!

Might even have a go at skimming it myself as it wont really matter if it is a disaster!

Thanks for the advice anyway!

have a go wont hurt if u mess it up just put some nice fancy paint brush swirls in it!!! :LOL:

If you don't want to skim, then:

1) Fill the joints as best you can, and rub down.

2) Paint the screwheads with aluminium paint, then fill & rub down.

3) Paper with heavy-duty lining paper.

4) Paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back