Just plasterboarded onto studs, need advice on filling gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just partitioned a room with studwork and plasterboard which I've fixed with the proper screws but I'm after some guru knowledge on the best way to proceed with what I want next.

I now need to fill the gaps and cover the screw heads, is it best to use filler or caulk to do this? I'm just wondering if the screws would perhaps rust if I used filler as I do not intend to skim the plaster, merely perhaps cover it in watered down pva then wallpaper it.

It there a certain depth the screws should be driven into the plasterboard to ensure the covering filler sticks?

Would I also need to tape the joints? I did this about 10 years ago using a plasterboard tape with lots of square holes in it (apologies it probably has a name) and it just showed through everything as it was obviously sat on top of the finished later and the wall was not skimmed. It there a very thin tape I need to buy?

Kind regards
Neil

Sponsored Links
Hi

I've just partitioned a room with studwork and plasterboard which I've fixed with the proper screws but I'm after some guru knowledge on the best way to proceed with what I want next.

I now need to fill the gaps and cover the screw heads, is it best to use filler or caulk to do this? I'm just wondering if the screws would perhaps rust if I used filler as I do not intend to skim the plaster, merely perhaps cover it in watered down pva then wallpaper it.

It there a certain depth the screws should be driven into the plasterboard to ensure the covering filler sticks?

Would I also need to tape the joints? I did this about 10 years ago using a plasterboard tape with lots of square holes in it (apologies it probably has a name) and it just showed through everything as it was obviously sat on top of the finished later and the wall was not skimmed. It there a very thin tape I need to buy?

Kind regards
Neil

You can use joint filler.
http://www.diy.com/nav/build/buildi...mpid=4&tmad=c&ecamp=cse_go?CAWELAID=266891095

and joint tape (it's like paper)

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/buildi...mpid=4&tmad=c&ecamp=cse_go?CAWELAID=266888373

If you have used board screws they shouldn't rust and the depth should be enough to not break through the plasterboard paper but don't worry too much if you have gone deep.

I would use a paper liner before painting or papering the wall.

Many thanks

As I only have about 5m of joints to fix the big bag of filler looks excessive, would normal filler work or is this a must?

Thanks
Neil

Many thanks

As I only have about 5m of joints to fix the big bag of filler looks excessive, would normal filler work or is this a must?

Thanks
Neil

I wouldn't use filler, not for this job. And joint filler is a tenner a bag..... It's also easyer to work and you will get a better finish, if you need to sand it will be easer to sand also, better finish all round.

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

and the tape is really thin I guess so it wont show as big stripes down the wall. I had a really bad experience last time as I purchased a self adhesive square holed tape that stuck out a mile.

Looks like I'm off to B&Q!

Thanks,

and the tape is really thin I guess so it wont show as big stripes down the wall. I had a really bad experience last time as I purchased a self adhesive square holed tape that stuck out a mile.

Looks like I'm off to B&Q!
You should use tapered boards, this will combat this problem.

for a novice tape and joint is easier solution to finishing a wall but its not easy to hide the joints even on building sites ive seen work done by professionals that shows the joints not badly like but enough to say "should have skimmed it" it sounds like a small wall i would still considder to have it skimmed the wall will be more hardy to knocks and itll be a more even finish all together itlll be a nicer way to finish a wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back