Cheap bath water?

T

thatbloke

We still have not got the combi boiler in and rely on an electric shower and small electric point of use water heater.
The boiler/heating is 3 months away from being fitted.

I am thinking , because the missus keeps complaining that she wants to use the bath, that a cylinder and immersion might be a good idea.
Except , cylinders are very expensive and I cannot justify that kind of money for a temporary installation.

Any thoughts guys, apart from fitting the immersion element straight into the side if the bath tub? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
No need to cut a hole in the bath for an IH, use one of these:
12224a.gif

NB: Metal baths preferred.

No need to cut a hole in the bath for an IH, use one of these:
12224a.gif

NB: Metal baths preferred.

Ha!, I do have a cast bath but I'd only burn me bum on that.

I've even looked at second hand cylinders but they arnt too cheap either.

Sponsored Links
Why not just fit the combi now?

I've got too much to do first (renovating an old cottage) so if I did fit it now it would be a temporary installation , which would also cost a small fortune, then three months or so from now I would have to pay to have it moved again.

I just thought I'd ask to see if there was a cheap alternative to putting a temporary direct copper cylinder in the bathroom to fill the bath.

Well i had the solution ? many many years ago , alot of households had what is refered to as a copper , dunno why they called it a copper because there is no copper in it ??

If u wanted a bath your mother used to wheel out the copper , had a gas hose , which plugged into a bayonet fitting , bucket the water in , light the copper , heat your water , there was a tap onthe base of the copper , & u used to bucket it into the bath . simples ! was state of the art than , i beleive they were a standard supply in council house's at that time !

needless to say u only bathed ounce a week , the whole family used to get in the bath :)

OMG!! We had one of those. And a Flatley for drying clothes.

Sh*t, I'm showing my age.

Well i had the solution ? many many years ago , alot of households had what is refered to as a copper , dunno why they called it a copper because there is no copper in it ??

:)
Good grief - that was a gas heated copper - my Nan had a proper copper - made of rivetted copper and set in a brick surround in the corner of the skullery . You filled it with water ,lit a fire under it and when the water was hot enough you baled it out the copper and into the "tin" bath on the skullery floor with a bucket . And then had a bath . Lovely on a cold winters evening. sat in that bath with the embers of the fire under the copper still glowing ( you put in a bucket of cold water after drawing off the hot) and so got the last gasp from the fire with the firedoor open . I`d rather have those days back than your poxy electronic combi any day :LOL:

I've got some bath water you can have for nothing. You'll have to collect though, only used once.

I've got some bath water you can have for nothing. You'll have to collect though, only used once.

Did you fart in it? :LOL:

Decided to bear the electric shower for the duration, expensive as it is an immersion probably wont be much cheaper.

Thanks chaps , interesting stuff about the copper, I spent yesterday looking at a Victorian fireplace in a Tudor cottage and we found a possible copper with a fire underneath that has been plasterboarded over.

Just take the shower rose off so you don't lose heat from the spray.

Isn't it amazing what people had to do for hot water only two generations ago!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back