cheap buckets for mixing in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
do you buy lots of buckets for mixing in? surely after so many knock ups they become scratched and ingrained with old plaster..

Sponsored Links
Most of my buckets are scratched/engrained/stained with old plaster, but i don't have a problem with that Coljack. For someone starting out as a plasterer,, that would matter, because it could affect the setting time as you'd probably know. All of the buckets i use are old joint finish buckets, either 15 or 17ltrs. When i think they are past it,,, i put holes in the bottom, and grow spuds in them,,, honestly. :LOL:

Roughcaster.

At 99p from the sheds for a bucket, its not a problem.

What do you pay for those flexi buckets?

To keep buckets pristine, soak them in water, it dissolves the finish and bonding(but not render)

Sponsored Links
do you buy lots of buckets for mixing in? surely after so many knock ups they become scratched and ingrained with old plaster..

Hi ColJack.

I tend to use the flexi tubs as quite straightforward to carry when full. I may try something different when these wear out.
I posted a while ago and there was some good bucket discussion!
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=182970

Personally I operate my flexi buckets in a squad rotation ;)

The newest I use for multi-finish only.
When it gets a bit worn out it replaces the one used for Bonding.
Then the Bonding one will be downgraded to a flexi bucket filled with water for spinning the mixer in after use.

not a plasterer, but I've had reason to knock some screed up for patching in a few holes in the floor and it wrecked the bucket..
but then I guess it would with sharp sand in the mix..

also had to use a second bucket for tile adhesive ( wish I'd bought the redi-mix now... ) and that's wrecked too..
got a bit of patching to do at skirting level where the cowboy plasterer couldn't be arsed to bend down.. ( never going for the cheap quote again. )... it stops in a wavey patern about 4-5 inches from the floor ( second storey flat.. no DPC to bridge.. )

so I've got to go buy another bucket and a bag of plaster.
is bonding ok for behind a skirting? will leave a 10mm gap at the bottom..

hello guys,

my tuppence worth for what it's worth (tuppence maybe? ;))

i've just kinda converted from yellow flexitubs to a new method and i'm kinda liking it!

got myself a spot and stand now to work from, mix up in a 30ltr plasterers mixing bucket, empty it out onto wetted spot board, go back and clean bucket out ready for next mix, skim away! always ready for mixing up next load, plaster has more life in it on a spot too i find and no buckets to clean at the end of the day either!

all depends on having the room of course so still keep yellow tubs in the van in case and use cheap builders buckets for things like adhesives etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back