Mixing Bonding - Why so difficult?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Mixing up Bonding Plaster is driving me Crazy - it takes me much longer to mix the stuff than put it on! Nearly 10 minutes mixing and about 5 spreading! Am i doing something wrong?!

What i do is mix about 1/3 of a bag of Thistle Bonding at a time in a 50 litre "big bendy bucket thing".

I've tried using a drill attachment to stir, but while it works well for some of the plaster, but leaves the bit it doesn't mix compacted. I then have to dig this bit out!

This is a pain even using a bucket trowel.

I have tried adding the water first, but it makes no difference.

Is it always this hard? Should i be using a "Plasterer's bucket", which looks like a bucket of normal diameter but greater length.

Have i discovered why Pros have a boy doing the mixing?!

Any help appreciated!!!!

Crawf

Sponsored Links
You always add the powder to water, not the other way around.
Generally 14 litre of water per 25kg bag or 0.6 litres water per 1kg.
A third of a bag would need about 4.5l of water.
Water first add powder but not all in one tip, about 2/3 of powder to water, mix and add rest gradually whilst mixing.

It is not a difficult process.

Never had a problem at all,,,, ever,, as PBD says, always add the Bonding plaster to water, not the other way round.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Looks like i've been doing it wrong all this time! Feeling pretty stupid about not adding the water fist, but really appreciate you guys pointing me in the right direction.

Should really improve my weekend!

Crawf

No wonder it took as long to mix :LOL:

Remember to add the powder gradually...and a decent paddle mixer if you are doing enough to justify it.

Mixing smaller quantities like 1/3rd bag as you're doing is much simpler. Good for DIY quantities.
I find also that I can keep the mixer running with one hand and use the other to scrape any dry powder off the sides and into the middle. With lower quantities, it's also easier getting the bucket trowel down into the bottom corners and scrape the bottom.
I also have some spare clean water in a bucket in case I overdo the powder and it goes too thick for my pref.
Once you've dumped your plaster out onto a spot board, this water can go straight into the bucket for quicker cleaning.
I always clean the bucket now before starting to lay on, cleaning the flexi buckets later when it starts to set is a pain.

For me, less time mixing the better, as I'm not the fastest at laying it on and gives more working time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back