Cheap differential thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with mothers room getting too hot, opening a window can cool a room at night, however during the day it can actually be hotter outside than inside, so there are times when opening a window actually makes a room hotter, so thought is fit a fan to blow air into the room from outside and use thermostats to control it.

10 am and camera is showing 29°C at the moment, but eTRV is showing 21°C so it is direct sun on the camera, outside 20.2°C so no real point opening window now, left it too late. So something automatic is called for.

So easy enough to use something like the STC-1000 pick them up at around £10 set it so if inside exceeds 22°C turn on fan, however could be blowing in air hotter than already in the room, so looking for something with two sensors which will work a relay according to which sensor is hotter.

Sure I could make something, but if there is a cheap one already made then I would go for that.

I can find them for USA This is 110 volt so not any good for me and also 12 volt versions, but looking for something like this
solartemp-250x250.jpg
but 230 volt version. Think used for solar water heating, but for 230 volt only found them at silly prices, could buy an Air-con for less.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A standard thermocouple type thermostat measures the temperature internally then applies the differential sensed by the thermocouple. So all you would need to do, in theory, is disable or spoof the internal measurement and the thermostat will just measure the differential.

Could even place the thermostat in a temperature-controlled enclosure (a fridge?, not necessarily in the room to be measured) and extend the thermocouple terminals with two copper wires to the indoor measurement point. The thermocouple wire ends are then connected to the copper wires at this point and the thermocouple junction is placed at the outdoor measurement point.

Sponsored Links
I have found 12 volt versions which you can by with British pounds, it seems they are used for solar water heaters, I think it may be worth looking at 12 volt fans, they also may be easier to get to run to pump air in rather than suck air out. However cost is a major consideration no point is spending as much as a air con, or even near that price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back