Cheap home safes

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
"Which" did a test of home safes this month, I was perturbed to see that the "Electronic keypad" type, which have a key override with a tubular-key cylinder, were opened in 5 seconds.

I'm guessing this was because the tubular cylinders are so easy to open, so I'm about to remove the actuating arm from the cylinder on mine. It's very annoying, considering how heavy they are, with big showy bolts, and screwed to the wall.

Does anyone know if the electronic combination is also easy to overcome, or if any other cylinder lock would be more secure?

Sponsored Links
It may be a heavy safe, but look at the thickness of metal that is protecting your valuables - many tools found around the home will defeat this.

The tubular locks are relatively easy to defeat - if you have the appropriate tool, and know how to use it. These tools are (should) only available to trading locksmiths - but if anyone really wants to get their hands on one, they will.

You can buy alternatives to the fitted round tubular locks, either higher security versions of the tubular, or alternatives that will prove a challenge. Google on cam locks.

I'd be interested in seeing a copy of this article - is a copy on the Internet?

No, there are some Members-only web pages, but I think you'll have to pop into the library or borrow from a friend.

I happen to have some Union and some L&F camlocks that I got for a key cabinet - are they likely to be any better?

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I'm at the library this weekend with the kids, so I'll look up a copy.

The L&F and Union are just as easy to open - but again, you need the tools and knowledge to defeat them. Bottom line - the level of security on these safes, and that includes the secondary locks, is poor and you shouldn't be securing your life savings in one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back