Cheap radiators, where to buy

Sponsored Links
Not many would advise you to buy cheap radiators.

They should be chosen for style and appearance!

Wickes sell unbranded Barlo rads with little guarantee but including fixing screws. But you have to select only one one in four to find one which is not damaged.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The difference is: we are able to tell whether or not the cheap rad will be ok, a householder can't.

OK then, if I didn't go for the cheap option, then where should I buy them and what is the average cost to a non trades person for a basic 600 - 1200 rad? And if the cost is much higher than a cheap on, what am I paying for, what's the difference between the two to warrant the price difference?

Thanks

There are many 'Eco' rads on the market with eco being economy not anything to do with green credentials. Eco rads have two main differences, thinner steel and shorter convector fins. Good brands like Stelrad, Myson, Kudox, Quinn, all use 1.2mm steel whereas eco rads are normally 1.0mm steel. Look for a guarantee of at least 10 years and you can be sure it's not 1.0mm steel. The heat output is higher on the decent ones as well because the convector fins and thus surface area are greater. If you are buying the correct size by BTU rather than physical dimensions there is very little price advantage anyway. Be wary of BTU liars though, a lot inflate their outputs and the Wickes ones for example quote an output that is tested without the end panels or top grill so the real output is lower.

Hi, I'd like to think we do the best deal but we only offer packs so that we can palletise deliveries to avoid damages. Just did a quick scan and Screwfix came out top because they are discounted at the moment but you must go for the Kudox Premier ones not the unbranded ones if you don't want an eco rad.
600x1000 single Screwfix £34.19 Toolstation £39.72 B&Q £39.98
600x1000 double Screwfix £61.49 Toolstation £67.98 B&Q £68.99
Some suppliers make a bigger profit margin on some sizes so it's best to compare the whole list rather than just one size.

Actually just noticed that the Kudox Premier is cheaper than the unbranded one anyway now that Screwfix are doing 25% off so no brainer!
Just did a quick output comparison as well and the Kudox single is about 8.5% higher output than the unbranded and around 3.5% on the double.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back