1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap, rigid sheet/board ideas for plastic pot storage in shed

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by miljee, 30 Sep 2016.

1. miljee

miljee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a Keter garden store which only houses the lawn rake, so there's a large amount of unused space inside.

I have a small lean-to greenhouse which is full of empty plastic pots. I want to put a full-size shelf across the empty space in the Keter to store the pots on (as I want to use the greenhouse to over-winter plants!), so the shelf doesn't have to bear much weight, but being 1100mm x 750cm, needs to be able to support its own weight without sagging down. It also needs to be relatively cheap!

Note, I can support the shelf at both ends, obviously, but only at the back in the middle as a front support would prevent me getting the lawn rake out.

The inside of the store is dry but obviously it's outdoors so a small degree of water resistance is needed.

Any ideas?

Ta.

2. Matthew89

Matthew89

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    How about OSB? You can get sheets of these (2.4m x 1.2m) from diy stores like wickes and they cost about £15. You can probably get it from your local wood yard aswell and they will rip it down to your required size.
    This will need treating with a preserver on all edges and faces though if its likely to get wet. I think that it would likely last without though and you may find the preserver is more expensive than the board.

Regards Matt

3. miljee

miljee

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have decided on external plywood. It's £19 for an appropriate sheet, but it's ready to go, no painting etc.

4. Matthew89

Matthew89

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok, Thats a good price for external plywood. Is that 12mm? I've only seen marine plywood which is for external use and this is usually a lot more expensive.