screwless bike storage solution needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a challenge if anybody is up for it!

I bought a new bike today.. light enough/10.5kg. I live in a small one bedroom apartment with my other half in London and I dont wish to leave bike outside. The best place to store the bike is in a vestibule /porch area that is already 100% used up on the floor but that has v high ceilings. The area is small maybe 7 ft x 2ft but is 15 ft height I need to find a way to support/hang bike for storage up there. As the bike is light and I am tall I will easily be able to lift it up and down.

Main complication is that because it is a rented property and landlord is [difficult] I cannot use any screws.

On the plus side there is a long shelf running along the space at approx 7ft height. The shelf has a depth of maybe only 8 cm, so far too small for bike) but it is very well supported/strong and can easily support weight of bike.

this is the basically the space where I want to store the bike... with bike in side of picture.

Im pulled out my hair trying to find a solution on the net. The obvious solution for me would be like a shelf extension/increasing the depth of the shelf. I was hoping to find some kind of 'peg' like extension that would bite onto the shelf with a lateral piece extension but none appear to exist. The other option would be plastic /moulder holder.. Think of the phone holders in cars but bigger for bikes. I envisaged this would clip on to the shelf again. Unfortunately once again doesnt appear to exist...

any ideas or help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
thanks Litl, both walls are concrete block based/are bloody hard when I knock on them so yes.. thanks ill explore this avenue

Just one expanding pole high with a butchers hook hanging from it and hang bike vertical from front wheel.?

Sponsored Links
my "day job" involves tv and theatre lighting. Manfrotto are a "grip" company who sell stuff like lighting supports and tripods, they also sell extendable poles that jam against the floor/ceiling.
They will work horizontally but with a much lower load. They also cost an arm and a leg.

i recently bought a pair of DIY telescopic poles that work in the same way as the posh lighting ones from Aldi.
an advantage of floor to ceiling is the weight bearing.

my "day job" involves tv and theatre lighting. Manfrotto are a "grip" company who sell stuff like lighting supports and tripods, they also sell extendable poles that jam against the floor/ceiling.
They will work horizontally but with a much lower load. They also cost an arm and a leg.

i recently bought a pair of DIY telescopic poles that work in the same way as the posh lighting ones from Aldi.
an advantage of floor to ceiling is the weight bearing.
I thought you were about to suggest using some superclamps to attach the bike to the shelf!

actually, if you made a square wooden frame, you could sit it at an angle on the shelf and leaning at 45 degrees across the space to the other wall.
would that give you enough space?

Now there's an idea......
Lol - might cost a bit though - I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the instruction leaflet that came with mine suggested using a load of them to make shelves - something like 4 or 8 per shelf at £30 a clamp...o_O

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back