Bike storage in front garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just after a bit of advice - I use my bicycle to commute to work every day. At the moment I keep my bike in the back garden - there's a lane that runs parallel to next door's garden, round next doors' house and leads to my garden. It would be so much easier if I could keep the whole family's bikes in a shed at the front of the house, but don't know where I stand.

home.jpg

Red = my driveway, Blue = lane that leads to my back garden

Ideally I'd like to put a small bike store at the top of my driveway. The deeds to the property state that the driveway and grassy area surrounding it is my property and that the blue area is shared access. At the moment I keep my wheelie bin and some recycling crates where I'd like the bike shed to go. What do you think? I can't find anything in the house paperwork that states what can and can't be put there.

Thanks
Jon

Sponsored Links
GPDO 2015 states - No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation.

So I would have a word with your neighbour. Make sure they are ok with it first.

Howvere, even if they reported to planning enforcement, it is likely they will say that it is "not expedient" to pursue, unless it's causing any danger or "planning harm".

Sponsored Links
Yeh a shed maybe vulnerable in that position as its going to contain bikes I would be wary. How about building a bin store/storage with brick and wooden door and decent locks? You may need planning for that but you wouldnt have the bins blowing off in the wind then either and your neighbour may go halves.

Who (apart from the OP) wants to look at a damn shed at the front of their house?

Think of the benefit of an extra 15 metre cycle ride instead.

I also wonder if there is a right to pass / easement which might be inhibited.

Any chance that the garage that's just in shot on the RHS of your photo is owned by an old lady that would rather have the £15k than the garage? You're not really spending money, just 'parking' it until you come to sell the house.

unless this is some grim ex mining town, said old lady might also be aware that her house sans garage will be worth a lot less than the £15k. but still she might rent it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back