Digging a trench in my front garden

• Thread starter Jethro_1111
  • Start date
J

Jethro_1111

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice on a trench that i dug in my front garden and whether I need to apply for retrospective planning permission. I live in a Victorian terrace and built a sunken bike shed in the front garden. To do this I dug a trench behind the wall which faces onto the pavement. It is 2m long by .5m wide and .3m deep. I built a wooden cover over the top so that the bikes are well hidden. The trench is far enough away from the house so it doesn't impact the foundations.

We are in the process of selling our house and need to it to go through quickly to hit the stamp duty holiday.

Will this come up in the survey, require planning permission and hold up the selling or is it small enough that no one will care?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Cover it will polythene, dump some black sacks or suchlike for now to keep the surveyor away

Thanks for the reply Johnny. That's what I thought when I originally built it but since then we have had different opinions on whether it's legit or not. Just trying to get some reassurances that it's not going to be a issue.

Sponsored Links
The shed might be an issue. Get rid of that and what you've got is a spot of unfinished gardening - you were going to plant shrubs.

you need planning permission for any shed forward off principal elevation[front face off house]
What counts as a "shed"? I went for a walk today and noticed in a house I passed that theyd got a small wooden structure (basically a cupboard, really) as a bin store. Did they need PP?

if no one complains your fine :D
like most things the more thoughtful you are the less chance there is off upsetting people causing an item to come to the planning departments attention and there interpretation wrongly or rightly off what's allowed :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back