Back garden bungalow planning advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I am hoping some experianced folk can give me some good advice about planning permission for an idea i have

Background
I own a 6 bed terraced house with the following approx measurements:

Front garden - 6m deep by 10m wide
House - 10m deep by 11m wide
Back garden - 19m deep by 11m wide

My family has recently expanded with the addition of a daughter in law and soon to be grandchild.

My plan is to build a bungalow in the back garden measuring 10m deep by 10m wide.

This would contain 3 bedrooms, a large lounge, a bathroom and a kitchen.

This property would be used as part of the main house and is not for letting/selling

Access- access to the building is via the main house, however our neighbough to the left has a driveway leading to the front main road who would allow us to use their drive to access our rear garden.

My questions are as follows:
Do i need planning permission
If so what are chances of getting this

All work would be carried out to meet building regs.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
102wntl.png

The diagr above shows the house plan with the longer section being the rear garden

1. You would need planning permission for it;

2. You are very unlikely to get it.

Sponsored Links
1. You would need planning permission because you are creating two residential units out of one.

2. You are unlikely to get it because most councils do not allow back garden development. See it from the council's perspective; although you want the new accomodation for your family, they will take the view that there is nothing to stop you separating the units and selling the new one to make a fast buck.

Hi
Thank you well thats just it, we could never sell that, the home does not have direct access to the back garden so it would always be reliant on the main house, furthermore all the utilities would run from the main house

Why not save time and just have a word with your local planning department?

Yes that is the plan just thaught id post on here just in case someone has done something similar and could give me some advice

It is likely to be resisted, as other have said because of back land development which is almost always against local policy.

However, there is precedent for this to be acceptable if an outbuilding / annexed to the property rather than a stand-alone dwelling bungalow. The definition is something to consider when discussing with the local authority.

The scale you describe is quite big - has the footprint been approximated on the site, and have you discussed with neighbours? Just a basic footprint and scale is likely to cause them concern.

Scale, impact on neighbours etc. will have to be considered and may provide a big limitation on the scale, usually when this is achieved they are more like studio "granny flats" say 35m2 with little self provision, i.e. kitchenette and open plan instead of 3 bed units with all the provisions of a stand-alone dwelling. .

Permitted development (no planning required) wouldn't be possible as it contains a bedroom.

Even if you could get approved through planning they will almost certainly restrict its sale through condition so it cannot be sold off and used as a separate dwelling or rented etc. etc. for future used, and all utilities etc. would have to be shared consequently which is another thing to consider whether that works in your situation.

As this is usually explored as a "cost saving" option compared to buying another property - something to consider would be the impact on your property and future saleability. It may add little to no value and also make it hard to sell, especially as the scale you describe. So whilst less investment now, it would probably be a poor long term investment.

Note, the construction would also be a lot more difficult and more expensive (due constrained access) than typical new build development and would also be betterment of an existing building so VAT at 20% would be chargeable on all of your works (VAT not applicable to new build).

If proximity is the driving factor then another property on the street might be a good cost comparison to at least explore.

Thank you very much for that detailed reply.

I too worried about the scale of the project but I have spoken to my neighbours (who are all lovely) and all of them are perfectly happy with the build in fact the ones to the left and considering doing something similar. the gardens are very long and the outbuilding would be situated around 9 meters from the main house.

I believe the lack of access is both a blessing and curse. I have been told this may work in my favour as no access proves the building is an annexe.

as for construction my neighbours who's drive leads to the main road has agreed to remove a section of the garden fence to allow all construction machinery through.

some would say that this is mad and why not just buy a new house. my reasons are simple, the home has been passed from generation to generation with over 60 years of wonderful memories. so selling the house is out of the question.

cost is not an issue, the aim is to provide more space for my eldest son and his wife.

I will get some planning advice from my local authority hopefully within the next few weeks and will update you guys with the outcome and hopefully do a build thread on the forum.

As well as development costs you may also wish to consider professional fees.

In some areas of the country it can work out cheaper and long term better to buy another house in the street than try and build another one in a garden, this might give you everything you need and save a small fortune and a lot of headache. You could try asking around the street - you can often neogitation a good price as you can cut out all the estate agent fees too!

EDIT: and don't forget speed. At the moment I would guess you would be looking at at least a year for development. Possibly longer as planning may be protracted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back