Can someone shed some light on decking rules?

I might have the terminology wrong.
But l thought if the patio has been privately developed (PD) being the patio, can you privately develop over the patio again with a decking frame?
How do you work out the ground level from where this decking has been built please?
No I don't think you can claim a Permitted Development patio is ground level for another pd effort. Pics please....

Sponsored Links
Here are the pics

Under neath this is a full constructed stepped patio

Attachments

• 20210723_173752.jpg
    20210723_173752.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 20210723_173754.jpg
    20210723_173754.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 143
Looks like a nice neat job...hard to see ground level under that lot, what height is the deck relative to your ground level at the house (looks like a terrace so ground level won't vary that much).
And critically, let's say the deck is actually 600mm above ground adjacent to the house. Would it make any substantial difference to the overlooking if the deck was dropped to 300mm above ground? If not (and looking at that pic I suspect there would still be overlooking) then the bamboo hedge is probably a better use of yr time and effort

Sponsored Links
Hard to tell from the pics, need more of the house in view.

But as oldbutnotdead said, if it was half the height would it make much difference, probably not by the looks of it.

looking at where the render seems to end just above the deck, I doubt the deck top is >300mm above ground, because I expect the render goes down to 150-200mm above ground level.

This rule seems to be poorly understood by planners, which is usually an issue, but could work to your advantage OP.

Get on the blower to your local planning department. Either they will say it's compliant, and you can't do much about it, or not, and they may have to rip it out

They may just have to apply and pay for planning permission.

In which case it will stay there.

Mpgk1 how high are your fence panels beside it? and are you 100% sure they are your fence panels?
The ones on the other side appear to be far higher, perhaps you need to put them in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back