deck and retaining walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - my garden has a steep slope in it. So I have recently conducted the following work:

Deck: I have put a deck up in my garden and then subsequently found out it may need planning permision (as over 30cm heigh). The garden is on a steep slope. The deck is 4m x 4m and drops from 40cm at on end to around 1.3m at the other. Before building the deck there was a pre-existing patform in place at a higher level than the deck. This was constructed using retaining sleeper filled in with rubble, concrete and soil - I dug this down to construct the deck. The neighbours are happy with the deck, hence no issue from the townhall. The deck it solid as a rock with post dug down to depths of 60-90cm and at least 100kg of concrete on each post.

Retain walls: Under the deck, I have constructed there parellel retaing walls. These are 1m to 1.4. high and constructed with double brick (english garden bond) and the concrete base reinforece with mesh and then all three walls locked together with mesh through the bases. My uncle is a qualifed brick layer - so he did all the design and work on the walls.

The issues I face is that, I am no working on putting an ensuite shower room into my garage. I was aware this needed to comply with building regs - so have submitted plans etc for this. My problem is what if the building control officer starts asking questions about the walls and deck.

Does anyone know:
1) Did I need planning permission for the walls/deck?
2) Is it likely the buidind control officer will start asking about other works to the house?

Appreciate some help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back