New Bungalow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a bungalow with a large garden which is accessed from a driveway at the side of the property. I am considering looking into planning permission for a bungalow at the rear of my property. I know there is enough space as a bungalow nearby has a similar size plot onto which they have built a bungalow. The question I have concerns the access, my driveway is 8 ft wide, do others feel this would be considered wide enough for planning permission to be given for access? The new property would have this solely as its access, parking and access for the original property would be totally separate.

I have contacted the council who cannot give me an answer, but are sending me a preplanning form but wondered if anyone had any opinions.

Best wishes,
Hayley O

Sponsored Links
a friend of mine has an 8' wide drive down to his house, the only problem i can see is that reversing up an 8' drive is a pita (especially if it's uphill). you'll have decent turning room at the new bungy?

Ignoring all the other hurdles that may get in the way, it may not be so much the width of the driveway (Devon highways guides suggests 3m BTW) but the splay lines as you access the roadway, the splay lines effectively dictate how far you need edge out of the driveway so that you can see down the road to see and be seen by other motorists. They can vary dependent on the road you need to access. Although they are largely the same all counties have their own highways guide often to be found online eg Devon http://www.devon.gov.uk/highwaysdesignguidepart1.pdf page 65 You may get some sense out of highways if you happen to get to speak to someone who's having a good day although they're usually pretty unhelpful. Remember the more information you stick in the Pre-App the better feedback you (should) get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back