Shared driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At some point in the future I will be looking at building a detached bungalow on a plot of land I own. I also own a bungalow next door to this plot of land. The plot of land is off a busy B road within a residential area. As it is on a blind bend I assume it would be impossible to gain permission for vehicle access. The bungalow has a driveway, also close to the blind bend. Would there be any reason why permission could be declined if the driveway was made shared between the existing bungalow and the new build bungalow?

Sponsored Links
I doubt it, lots of houses around here do it. But, shared driveways almost always cause problems. A house recently came on the market with a share driveway and they had an open day (dumb idea from the estate agent). The neighbour was out shouting at people to stop blocking his access. Doubt they sold that day.

Yeah, if the council don't like infill properties to share a driveway.

My house shares a drive with 2 other houses ,in fact 3 other houses at the verge crossing from the estate road. There is an understanding between neighbours that you never completely block the drive so others can't get in and out. So far, touch wood , it has worked ok for 20 years.
The planners would like to see turning space within the properties so vehicles can exit the drive in forward gear.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your responses. I know a shared driveway is not ideal, but I can't see there would be any other acceptable choice for vehicle access to a a new build infill property. So the real question is could there be any objection when putting in planning permission based on safety of access etc? Or would it be assumed as there is no new access to the road created, but existing access to the road is used this would not be considered?

You can't be sure with planning officers , they might take the view that they can't do anything about the existing access serving your house but they don't really like the location near a bend and would not like to give permission for it to serve another property with more cars using it. What sort of visibility is there at the access ? Highways require certain visibility splays depending on the type of road and what the access is serving. As others say , try and find out a bit more about your local planning policy on this sort of development.

You could offer to include things like a car turntable if turning space is tight?
I have no idea what they cost but they can blend in with paving and make exit onto a road easier

I doubt it, lots of houses around here do it. But, shared driveways almost always cause problems. A house recently came on the market with a share driveway and they had an open day (dumb idea from the estate agent). The neighbour was out shouting at people to stop blocking his access. Doubt they sold that day.

I've lived with a shared drive for 23 years and 5 neighbours. It has not caused a problem. Yet!

Would the sharing of the drive deprive the existing house of the off-road parking space?

The existing property has enough room for about 4 cars on the driveway, plus a double garage and turning space. Making a shared driveway would mean that the existing property would reduce its room to 2 cars and the new property would have 2 cars spaces. I would envisage that the new property would also have a single garage, and there would be turning space for both properties. The issue being is that the existing driveway goes onto a fairly busy road and close to a bend. It would not be possible to meet the visibility splay requirements for this existing driveway.

You need to check your council's specific planning policies.
I have contacted my council planning department and won't answer any questions without me submitting a pre-planning application together with a £250 fee.

I have contacted my council planning department and won't answer any questions without me submitting a pre-planning application together with a £250 fee.
The planning policies and the highways requirements are free public documents available from the council - normally online.

I dread pulling up and seeing either a tight shared cul-de-sac or a shared drive. You just know their is going to be trouble.

Some shared drives are better than others though.

It would be worth talking to someone in planning.
As you own both plots, you do have the (slightly drastic) option of knocking down your house to make a bigger site to ease issues, or build the second house to make entry/ exit easier

An image from google earth might help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back