Need help with garage storage

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could you please give me some advise. I am not sure where to find some items, or even what they are really called.

I would like to store 4 car roof bike racks against the wall in the garage. (These are the sort of thing I am talking about.)

My idea was to start by fixing a batten against the wall horizontal. I would then store the bike racks vertically on the wall, standing them up on the batten. To keep the top of the bike racks held against the wall I would like to strap them, a bit like this example. I think I can find some velco type strap to do this - it does not need to be very strong. And I would like to be able to take down one rack at a time.

But how can I fix the straps to the wall? I think I need things like this that the straps would go through. I am not having much luck finding them at Screwfix or B&Q.

(My idea was to fix something to the batten to give it a 'lip' to stop the rack from slipping off.)

Any advise on where to source these backing plates or straps would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's not clear to me how these fold up but I would be tempted to use a J shaped aluminium extrusion, almost a gutter, for the lower rail, with a large loop higher up. Thread the top of the carrier up into the loop and then lower the bottom onto/into the J. Or scrap the J for a basic bucket like holder

Why don't you simply use hooks like these?
Yes these would work, set in pairs horizontally. I could probably use 8 to create 4 'shelves' (one pair per rack). I wanted to keep these racks as tight to the wall as possible, but these would do a very good job and if needed I could probably put something else on them in future.

Sponsored Links
Yes these would work, set in pairs horizontally. I could probably use 8 to create 4 'shelves' (one pair per rack). I wanted to keep these racks as tight to the wall as possible, but these would do a very good job and if needed I could probably put something else on them in future.

They do shorter ones than the example I gave you

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Can you help sort my garage? :sneaky:

upload_2020-2-7_11-7-8.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back