"Cheap" shed roof - what am I missing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to put a cheapish roof covering on a field shelter. I've done a bit of googling and the various websites I've looked at all say different versions of "felt is the cheapest ... but it's not as durable as metal". I can't make any sense of this. The field shelter is about 4m x 4m, so the timber sheeting to put the felt on comes to something like £400 - £600 (depending on marine ply/OSB/thickness etc). That's way more than 16m2 of box profile metal sheeting, before even considering the cost of the felt itself. Am I missing something? What is *actually* the most affordable roof covering for an outbuilding?

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OSB is about £40 a sheet. You need about 8 to get close to that size.
So £200 plus some framing

Sponsored Links
11mm is thick enough at £20 sheet .
Huh, what distance between purlins for that? For the metal sheets I'd have the purlins at 1m centres, so anything closer than that & that adds cost again.

(Even 11mm OSB is £36 at my local merchant - so still comes to near £300 & more than the steel even without the actual felt.)

Last edited:
Well it seems you have costed it for yourself.
Just complete a spreadsheet with a tab for wood and steel. You seem to have the big items already costed, put in everything you need for fitting the roof then you will have your answer.

Defiantly do it in metal sheeting, the initial prices are much and such the same, but it will last a lifetime, and it still holds it's value - you could take it down and sell it, or reuse on another building. And when it reaches the end of it's life in 50yrs+ time it can still be recycled

I bought some galvanised corrugated the other week, 2ft cover width, it was £2.50 ex vat per linear foot.
So if it was 14ft lengths, a roof 4.2mx 4.2m would be £245 +vat

I remember when I built a shed a good few years ago it was £1.50 per linear foot!

Is this a 3 sided shelter? If yes then tin sheets (or have a look at GRP corrugated sheets) all day long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back