sheet metal/box profile shed roof - condensation/frost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Building a big shed (storage/workshop) at 24x10 and decided to put a box profile roof (hopefully last nearly forever!) on it. Dithered about putting the cheap and nasty supplied felt on as a drip catcher. Initially decided not as i didn't think i'd have a condensation issue due to no moisture source inside the shed, plus lots of ventilation. Part way through the job and the recent frost has told me i need to do something. Lots of frost on the underside of the metal, ready to melt and drip.

So current thoughts are...

Roof deck is t&g. On that i've put 2x4 horizontal battening to fix the box profile to. Only a few roof sheets applied so luckily not too much wasted effort.

Next steps will be. Take off the sheets. Install felt or dpm in vertical strips with good overlap directly on the t&g. secure in place with some sort of 10mm spacer between the 2x4 and felt. big screws through the 2x4, spacer, felt and into the roof framing underneath. spacer to allow drips to run down the felt/dpm and out at the eaves, not pool behind the 2x4.

not sure what spacer i'd use yet. something that won't mind getting wet!

sound plan or off one one?

Lots seem to do the horizontal battening on top of some sort of moisture barrier, but don't address the pooling issue. also seen some discussions about using vertical battens to allow the same effect, but then that makes a problem for installing the eaves filler.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
cheers

Sponsored Links
Go skip diving and find scrapped plastic facia boards. It cuts like butter only problem will be to get enough of the correct thickness. Or if you are rich go to local big box and but some plastic planking and carve it up into suitable bits.
Frank

I went for 25x50 treated roofing batten. Framing all done, getting the metal sheets on now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back