Cheapest Extension Option

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to extend my garage out by 8ft Length and 4.7FT width. My garage is currently brick with concrete floor.
I got a quote back from builder which was 3k for building the extension using same brick to match house and to sort the pipework as it will be a bathroom with toilet. And to do the flat roof with felt to match existing garage. This also included bricking up inside of the wall in the garage to block off garage doors.

3k was out of my budget for the extension, so he said there are other options for using different materials either breeze block or timber to reduce the costs, his coming back in a few days with new quote.

Will it be cheaper to use those materials? Am I looking for it to be slightly cheaper or quite allot?

Sponsored Links
That already seems suspiciously cheap to me if it's being done to regs, and he's doing all the work - from foundations to roof.

Gary

Yes that's been don all to building regulations etc. He is a trusted builder.

Because your creating whats classed as a living space, the extention will be subject to BC I would presume.

From the list of works, I don't think I'm wrong in saying that's a reasonable quote, but be warned the word quote is defined as "for all seen works" anything over and above that will be charged at time & lime price and could work out a lot more expensive.

Can you provide a sketch of the proposed works and some pics of the existing, relating to the tie in works that will be ness...pinenot

Sponsored Links
I know your thinking that it's such a small build, but setting up/enabling works would be the same for x4 your size, so that's something to bear in mind.

Tell me is the garage apart from the house or connected?

Could you live with rendered finish as apposed to finished brick. cause therein may lie a good part of any savings, then again I doubt it unless these are specials.

Once again let me remind you as living quarters, these will be subject to BC approval

any pics per chance...pinenot

All BC/BR/PP is in place.
The garage is attached to the house

Has the builder said how long this will take, and how many on site to do it?

As per above, the quote seems very cheap!

£3k!! :eek:

If £3k is out of your budget, then you need to look at your budget and not your builder.

£3k will buy you a weeks work and a few mat's.

Pretty sure I don't need to look at my budget. Each to their own with budgets I would say. Considering the extension is a bathroom to probably only swing a cat in

Whilst i sympathise with the fact you have a budget, you also need to be realistic.

If this building is to be 'compliant' then you will have to spend the money to bring it up to scratch, i.e. floor walls and ceiling as well as heating and ventilation etc.

£3k will not go far especially with something as costly per metre as a bathroom.

A bit off topic but do you mind if I ask why you have a kitchen in your garage?

6k absolute are minimum compliant esp with the electrics for a bathroom!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back