Timber frame extension over brick garage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to extend over my attached garage possibly with a timber frame, to save time, cost and space.
Garage has 1.3m deep footings, 9" block and brick walls (no real cavity).
A. is this a feasable option?

B. What would be the method of installation? (can it be supported from the current walls with a DP layer between timber and brick?

C. I already have planning for an extension, will this require adjusting if it is Timber construction?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Are you looking at ALL timber construction or timber frame with external brick skin?

Your suggestion of building off the existing seems do-able so long as the roof can be supported and strapped and that you achieve the current thermal standards.

You may for instance be able to build a 105mm brick outer skin, hang floor joists off the inside face and build a structural inner frame (mebbe 150mm thick) to support the roof and cradle all the required depth insulation.

Saving space is difficult when adhering to current thermal standards and usually comes with the penalty of having to insulate across the face of the internal walls, which is a long term practical pain.

As this is a straight forward build over the top of the garage, what do you think the rough cost would be for the timber frame and brick skin?
9.2m x 2.4m? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back