Timber frame house doorway to garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope this is the right area for this question.

I have a timber frame house with single-brick skin. A previous owner has had a doorway created from the house into the garage, and I am about to replace the frame.

My question is mainly about damp prevention. They have laid a timber doorstep which spans the cavity.

It sits on the sole-plate of the timber frame on the inside, and directly on top of the damp course of the brickwork on the outside. The cavity between the timber frame and the brick work seems to have some mortar stuffed in it, although it is so loose it could easily be spillage from construction rather than deliberate.

Does anybody know if this sounds right? Is it ok to span the cavity in this way or should there be additional damp protection?

Sponsored Links
Normal procedure would be to drop a cutting of dpm into the cavity lapped up over the kit and brickwork and then backfill.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back