Soundproofing timber frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some advice, please, on soundproofing, during construction, the exterior walls and ceiling of a single-story timber framed extension, to keep out traffic noise from outside.

The exterior walls will consist of timber frame, insulated to regs, but clad externally in timber (cedar or chestut), ie with no brick leaf or cavity. The roof will be a warm roof covered in EPDM.

Thanks
Richard

Sponsored Links
Cedar is a very good sound insulator, just make sure the detailing and installation prevents any gaps.

All this should be detailed by your designer, but use of dense quilt, dense board ( blue plasterboard or MDF) and frame isolation will all help

Cedar is a very good sound insulator, just make sure the detailing and installation prevents any gaps.

All this should be detailed by your designer, but use of dense quilt, dense board ( blue plasterboard or MDF) and frame isolation will all help

Thanks Woody. Can you give me a bit more constructional detail please? I don't have a designer other than myself, which is why I am asking the advice of more experienced members here.

Last year I designed and built a front porch along similar lines - from the inside out: skim, plasterboard, 25mm Celotex, 4x2 frame with Celotex infill, OSB, blue fabric, battens, cedar cladding. It's quite noisy. I'd use Soundbloc plasterboard next time. My main question is how to incorporate the dense quilt or acoustic batts. Should I be thinking in terms of creating an entirely separate frame a couple of inches inside the structural frame (perhaps out of 2x2), and filling the gap with quilt? Or is there a more standard method? I don't want to try to reinvent the wheel.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
How thick will the frame be?

As thick as it needs to be. 50x100 is my design starting point but there's enough room to go to 50x175, or whatever size is required to provide both thermal and acoustic insulation. None of the materials are bought yet. I'm open to all suggestions for the best way to achieve this.

I renovated the first floor of my dormer bungalow using double plasterboard (one of which was Soundbloc) over 25mm Celotex over and 100mm between the rafters, and the result wasn't satisfactory from an acoustic point of view. I want to do better for the extension.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back