timber framing details please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at the options on how to build my single storey extension. I am contemplating a full timber frame constrcution, like the closed panels you can get premade. The only construction details i can seem to fine on line consist of timber inside wall but with an external brick wall. Can anyone direct me to some construction details for a full timber frame system. I intend to cedar clad it to finish. Reasons for timber framing are
a) i believe the finished wall could be thinner than a traditional cavity
b) i am better at working with wood than masonary so should be able to build it myself cheaper

Sponsored Links
I made my panels of 12mm OSB and 89mm CLS at 600 centres

You need a 25x100mm sole and top plate and this gives all the panels rigidity when fixed together - m8 or m10 coach screws or bolts

I cut all the openings out afterwards and then inserted the extra timbers ether side of the openings and made a box lintel for above

Insulation was 90mm celotex between the studs and 50 across the face, then 12.5 plasterboard

After fitting the membrane on the outside use 38 or 50mm wide laths x min 25 thick. Then clad

You need to pay attention to details at the bottom of the cladding for drainage and above and around openings

An excellent book is " Timber Frame Construction " by TRADA - 4th ed 2008 is the latest IIRC

thanks for that. I will have a look for the book. You arent the author by any chance :) ?
Does anyone know any links of any detail drawings eg the method that woody has dsescribes, especially of those details around the base and openings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back