cheapest medium for wardrobe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What medium do I use.

Need to build a wardrobe / unit not sure what its really called, need advice on materials. Max space available is w150cm h230cm d75cm(using perhaps d60cm)

Our old shop bought pine wardrobe was solid and over the years I have altered the interior to suit the needs at the time. I need to build a wider and taller wardrobe of a material that can be altered without leaving the room over the comming years.

Internal will be a w60cm section housing draws and shelves and a w90cm section for rails, what is the cheapest way to build this to a finished item. ensuring its strong durable.

My skill level I have made and fitted a kitchen, but funds are so tight now, it has to be a cheap.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi

I'd measure out the dimensions that you need then head over to the nearest timber merchant (google would be your friend, here).

You could come away with pine, but chipboard and plywood are likely to come out cheaper. However, a walk around your local trade timber merchant (who will be happy to sell to you, privately) with the correct dimensions will show you what you can buy, and what cost it will be.

G'luck
scott

What medium do I use.

Need to build a wardrobe / unit not sure what its really called, need advice on materials. Max space available is w150cm h230cm d75cm(using perhaps d60cm)

Our old shop bought pine wardrobe was solid and over the years I have altered the interior to suit the needs at the time. I need to build a wider and taller wardrobe of a material that can be altered without leaving the room over the comming years.

Internal will be a w60cm section housing draws and shelves and a w90cm section for rails, what is the cheapest way to build this to a finished item. ensuring its strong durable.

My skill level I have made and fitted a kitchen, but funds are so tight now, it has to be a cheap.

Thanks in advance.

whilst i appeciate the need to save your cheapest option is to buy the standard carp from ikea b&q ect and fit that iff you have no tools and no skills then live with what you can get to fit
iff you have reasonable skills and all the tools then you are still cheaper to buy the units that will fit

buying materials and making yourself with all the correct tools [about £500 worth minimum for tools]will cost you far more even with good skills
the units are made from carp material in there thousands you simply cannot compete with the price even iff your time and tools are free as they are made by the thousands or millions off units they will be far cheaper than you can make

basickley the point i am making is mass produced is far far cheaper than you can make your own
i am a well established furniture maker who is semi retired and with a local help the the grans and other neady people /freinds discount if i charge less than half my normal rate its still well above twice the amount for ikea ready made lol

Sponsored Links
Three sheets of 18mm mdf would be enough to provide carcase and doors, rail and hinges about £65.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back