Cheapest screwdriver with storage you recommend?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

i have broken another screwdriver, I am not good at getting a good screwdriver that will last a year.

1st didn’t have any magnetic element, so it wouldn‘t hold a screw bit, not alone anything else.
2nd the ratchet kept skipping out
3rd handle fell off
4th no strength in the ratchet, meaning it was useless, unless I held the bit still

i don’t want to spend loads of money on this, cheaper the Better unless spending a little more is truly worth it, I would also like it to have built in storage for as many bits as possible.

my thoughts are this one

on a side note, anyone know where I can get a OWIN H4 25mm bit, I have lost mine from a set. It doesn‘t have to be OWIN just the rest of the set is, so trying to keep everything full and same brand.

Sponsored Links
Instead of cheap screwdrivers that break, consider buying some good ones. Ratchet drivers will go wrong, unless well engineered and not cheap

You can often get a set of ordinary made of Chrome Vanadium alloy steel, with ground tips, in the big chains, at low prices. They have nothing to go wrong, unless you damage the tips

Beware of Stanley, which often contain Phillips instead of Pozi, for the American market.

Examples

Aldi and Lids have them from time to time.

If you want replaceable bits for a power tool, you need Molybdenum alloy steel which is harder but more brittle.

When you get fed up with cheap tools, you can pay more for better.

Last edited:

i have recently purchased a Wera - set - expensive - BUT very good quality - I got fed up with cheaper items , and just a DIYer

i have not got this set - various other sets , with a rachet screwdriver

BUT

I have… well my mum has a ton of screwdriver sets. I like to keep a few tools upstairs and downstairs with the good bulk tools outside in the shed. I am disabled and needing a screw driver upstairs just to do small jobs saves me going downstairs, outside get the tool, come inside, get upstairs just to do a small job.

I have and use a stairlift, about 3 minute round trip, put my boot on, about 3 mins, go outside grab the tool (30secs?) come in, take boot off, 3 mins, plus getting it ready for next time I go out, we are looking at 12-15 mins just to get a simple screwdriver for a simple job like changing a plug, or hanging something on the wall.

because I don’t have much room to have a full tool storage set, i just want to keep basics (tape measure, hammer, a good ratchet screwdriver with bits, pliers, a sharpe knife etc)

so, I don’t want to spend more than say £15 if I can for small rarely used jobs.

Sponsored Links
That’s the reason I invested in wera tools
So I fully understand your reasons
I do the same
Keep various tools in bottom of cloths / shoes cupboard in house
Just a few items hammer multi tool and the 2 wera packs
Covers most things now
But I also understand the cost
As I say I got fed up with the really cheap ones breaking

Have a read of the reviews a lot talk about it breaking easily

I have one in my DIY list on Amazon I’ll look at the price

Last edited:
I carry a stanley ratchet screw driver in my rucksack.

It is a variation on this one.

I have had it for about 15 years. It has never let me down. From memory it was about a tenner 15 years ago

The supplied bits that live in the body have ,over the years, been replaced by better quality bits. There have been a few times that I gently tapped it with a hammer to loosen painted slotted screws in hinges.

I also carry gorgeous (Japanese) Vessel JIS bits in my cargo pants which use the same hex size and fit in the screw driver (the bits cost me about £18 (INCL duty and VAT). I had to pay more for the bits than the screw driver though.

As @ETAF said, if you want quality, look at Wera. When my ratchet screwdriver dies, I will stump up £35-50 a for a Wera. I have a number of (manual) Wera screwdrivers. The quality is lovely.

I have a multitool (a Leatherman - but cheaper versions are available - but don't buy Chinese tat) does nearly everything around the house, pliers/wire stripper, decent crosshead and two sizes of flat screwdrivers, knife and even a bottle opener for your beer.

often contain Phillips instead of Pozi, for the American market
Er. Whut? We use both types in this country, and the division is not to do with geography; they have completely different purposes / design intents

Last edited:
I am not good at getting a good screwdriver that will last a year.
Does sound like there is a problem somewhere..

i don’t want to spend loads of money on this,
Ah. I think I've discovered the source of the problem

"Buy cheap, pay dear", "buy cheap, buy twice" and "you get what you pay for" are clichés for a reason

I'd say don't bother with a ratchet; just improve your technique of "grip driver firmly, rotate screw in direction you want, loosen grip, rotate hand in opposite direction allowing driver to slip inside your grip"

Screwdrivers have never really needed a ratchet and in any cheap tool it is the mechanically complex components that give up first

I too would recommend Wera - I have the same set as has been recommended and it's brilliant; with quality brand names come guarantees that are actually worth the paper they're written on

i monitor waiting for a good price reduction - which often happens
I also keep an eye out for sales. While the brands with reliable ratchets (e.g. Wera and Wiha) are expensive at full price, they can be found on sale sometimes.

Although over £15, you could consider the Bahco 808050A ratchet screwdriver. It gets incredibly positive Amazon reviews, and Bahco has an excellent reputation.

I’d probably say Wera and Wiha equal first, Bahco second, Milwaukee third, and Stanley fourth. Others may disagree :)

Last edited:
Screwdrivers have never really needed a ratchet and in any cheap tool it is the mechanically complex components that give up first

My screwdriver was relatively cheap, I must be about 15 years old and gets a lot of use. The ratchet mechanism is absolutely fine after all this time.

I would not want to be without it especially when unexpectedly having to remove 70mm screws from a door hinge and I haven't got my cordless with me.

I agree on the Stanley ratchet driver, I bought two when on sale in Tesco for £5.50. The second one has never been used. Must nearly 20 years.

My screwdriver was relatively cheap, I must be about 15 years old and gets a lot of use. The ratchet mechanism is absolutely fine after all this time.

I would not want to be without it especially when unexpectedly having to remove 70mm screws from a door hinge and I haven't got my cordless with me.
I had one too, always handy to have around and comfortable to hold, the new ones are not a patch on these.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back