"Check Drain" Miele washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Could someone tell me how to remove the side panels from my miele washing machine (Premier 500) please? The machine does not complete the cycle and says "Check Drain" I have tried to get the side panel off, but it looks like you have to remove the front to get at the last 2 screws. Thee seems to be a lot of Grey gunk and limescale inside the pipes. I have cleaned and descaled the front filter and the external waste pipe, I managed to get at one internal pipe to clean it but I really need more access. Any help would be great before I resort to the miele service engineer (££££).

Sponsored Links
Hi, Could someone tell me how to remove the side panels from my miele washing machine (Premier 500) please? The machine does not complete the cycle and says "Check Drain" I have tried to get the side panel off, but it looks like you have to remove the front to get at the last 2 screws. Thee seems to be a lot of Grey gunk and limescale inside the pipes. I have cleaned and descaled the front filter and the external waste pipe, I managed to get at one internal pipe to clean it but I really need more access. Any help would be great before I resort to the miele service engineer (££££).

Hi there.
I don't think you can remove the side panels on that model. Only the lid and the front swings open. I have a miele Novotronic and the casing is exactly the same as yours.
As far as I know, the only miele machines which have removable side panels are the very latest commercial Little Giants from the Professional range.

I have one of these (Premier 500) and the pipes and white plastic box block up. You have to ...

0. Unplug from the mains. Check you have done this twice.
1. Remove the two bits of plastic covering the screws holding the lid on.
2. Remove the screws. Need a torx driver or bit.
3. Remove the lid.
4. Remove the front by....
5. Removing the bolt at 6 o'clock under the door - ordinary hex head.
6. Remove the plastic foot plate at front bottom.
7. Oh, yes, you need to empty the water from the filter.
8. Remove the wire loop retaining the rubber door seal.
9. Remove the 4 screws holding the front panel at the bottom.
10. Unscrew the two screws holding the door electronics
11. Now you can remove the front panel, by hoiking it down and forwards.
12. There are two or three pipes to clear and the white plastic box, but
13. I'd start with the pipe that goes from the top of the filter to the top of the machine at a Y point. Remove this thin black pipe from the bottom by undoing the jubilee style clip and clear it of scale.
14. You can poke a wire eg paper clip, allen key etc from inside the filter at the top to clear the white plastic tube of scale.
15. Replace the pipe and clip.
16. If you didn't find the blockage you will need to try clearing other pipes
or the white plastic box.
17. I didn't remove the side, but I did undo the top screws and first one or two at the side, just to give me an extra inch to get my hands in, this may not be necessary depending where the blokage is.

Bob G

Youve reserected an old thread but this maybe of use to someone.
i was told to do a boil wash every now and again and use a washing machine cleaner we bought the miele one but i think it calgon?
Anyway it seems that its due to us washing things at lower temperatures now adays causes the machines to choke up with soap gunk.
so boil yer hankies and all will be ok no need to strip the machine down as it will not bblock in the first place.
Works for us

Rob

Sponsored Links
We reduced our persil tablet usage down from 2 to 1 per wash, this has helped a bit - we noticed that the washing was coming out a bit wet and soapy, and also that the pump does a whirr-whirr sound over and over.

We have had the problem on and off for months really, the reason I posted was that when I cleared this lump of chalk from the top of the filter there was a big improvement:

No whirring pump, and washing not soapy or wet. Spin speed back to normal.

Sometimes the extrernal drain pipe gets full of chalky deposits, which is because here in Hants the water is very hard. I take it off and flush it out with a tap in the garage when this happens. I grew up in Brum and I think the much softer water came from Wales, we never had any trouble like this there.

Before I bit the bullet and stripped it down, we tried a boil and soda wash to clear it - and we do them every few months, it might help a bit, but the problem remained.

Slight correction: I noted today that ours is a Premier 520, not 500 - they are probably very similar.

Why manufacturers make it so hard to access and clear the pipes I don't understand. It isn't helping anyone if we just clutter up landfill with machines discarded just down to a blocked pipe.

I keep telling wifey that she should use a mangle and washboard, but she won't have it.

Thanks for this useful post Bob. Our machine did not have the check drain light on, but wasn't spinning well. When I took the pipe from the filter box to the top as you mentioned out, it has utterly blocked and full of sludge and scale. The machine is spinning as new now, thank you! :D

borzwatson you are welcome, glad it was of use to you - I came by the forum post again as our Premier 520 had gone a bit slow to drain, (I note a correlation with student son return and washing machine clog up) and so I wanted to find my own instructions.

Bob G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back