check valve on shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with a shower which is fed by mains pressure cold and the hot from a vented CH system.

I got cold water pushing through the shower and up through the hot water pipes and into my cold water tank in the roofspace causing it to overflow.

I cured this by putting a check valve in the hot water line. I got a standard brass one from the plumbers' shop.

It works, but every few months the check valve lets by and the cold tank overflows again and I change it for a new one.

Is there a type of non-return/check valve that would be longer lasting?

Or any better solution to this problem?

I suppose I could change the whole shower unit as I guess a seal must be worn to be causing this problem.

Sponsored Links
I agree with Kev.

Another, but expensive solution if you don't want to do all that pipe work just yet, is to ask your plumbing merchant if he has a pressure reducing valve that will reduce the pressure of the incoming mains water to the shower, to a level similar to the pressure of the hot water (maybe 0.5 bar).

also it might be wise to fit a filter ( line strainer) on the cold water main before the new valve.

Yes, Kev. I would put in a separate cold feed but it's a three storey house and it would be a right a**e-ache to run a line down to the ground floor.

Good call Brumylad. I'll try the filter first as it may be dirt under the seat of the check valve. I had assumed the hot water was degrading the innards of the check valve, but it may just be dirt.

If I put in the pressure reducer in the mains cold line, I've got the risk of pushing tank water back into the mains so I'd have to put a double check valve in the cold line wouldn't I, to conform with water regs?

Sponsored Links
There should be a double check valve immediately after the main stop cock.
Can't remember if you should have a double or single in the HW pipe to stop your problem, If you use a double you could go up a size to keep the resistance down.

You'd be better off with a pressure balancing valve than a pressure reducing valve. That would match the cold pressure to the hot, so the mixer would work better too.

Thanks Chris, sounds like the perfect solution. I'm not familiar with pressure balancing valves but I can see the sense as it takes fluctuations in mains pressure out of the equation. I'll look them up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back