Overflowing cold water tank

It'll be the cold water passing into the hot through mixer taps. Fit nrv's on the hot pipes as near to the taps as possible.

Sponsored Links
yes the point im getting at is the night issue.

if you fill a bath with cold/hot water at 2pm the water you have drained and used from the tank/cylinder, by the time you have had a bath that tank/cylinder would of refilled itself and there for would cause the overflow before you have time to take a bath.

It'll be the cold water passing into the hot through mixer taps. Fit nrv's on the hot pipes as near to the taps as possible.

yes but a tap will only pass when being used not when both hot/cold are shut off at the taps.

Still should be fitted with mixers.

Sponsored Links
What type of electric shower have you got?.

When you say water is back filling into cold tank do you mean up the cold feed to the cylinder or up the open vent pipe?.

If you mean up the cold feed to the cylinder, this would not be possible if your plumbing is correct because you should not have any other connections to this pipe.

I had a similar problem recently where a thermostatic shower mixer which was fed with hot water via a combi boiler and the cold from a tank, i cured it by fitting a non return valve in the cold feed pipe.

Yes up the cold feed to the hot water cylinder.The shower is a Triton electric shower. This problem only started when the new bathroom was installed. The plumber who fitted the shower blocked the shower filter with with crap and he had to come back to sort it but could not find the problem, it's only when the guy from triton came and the problem was sorted.

i think you need to have a good look at your system

yes up the cold feed to the hot water cylinder - don't make any sense cold feed don't go up it gos down from cws in loft to hot water cylinder in airing cupboard.

earlyer it was up the vent pipe not the cold feed.

What is the water levels of the small header tank and the storage tank in relation to each other.

Is the header tank higher, and if so is the ballvalve running.

What mixer taps do you have with a mains cold instead of a tan cold. e.g. the kitchen sink

Triton electric shower would/should be connected to the mains supply not down services so it would be impossible unless you have a cross connection somewhere.

Triton electric shower would/should be connected to the mains supply not down services so it would be impossible unless you have a cross connection somewhere.

Forget the shower it only has one pipe.

Yes i know what you mean Doitall your thinking split coil in cylinder but op is saying only since shower has been installed and there isn't a bath.

Mixer taps are supposed to be byflow (if they are legal) so no cross connection can happen, if it is a ilegal mixer cold water going back up hot pipe will come out of open vent but only when both taps are on and it won't know what time of day it is the op says only at night.

Faulty mixer tap gets my vote. Maybe, in the manufacturing of one of the mixer taps the OP has got in his house, there was a hairline crack or split in the casting BEFORE the water mixes inside the tap body. Mains pressure ( which probably means it is the kitchen tap, unless the OP has other mixers with mains cold / gravity hot ) will force the gravity back up the pipe, as you all know............... just a thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back