Check Valve possible solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps.

Just did a boiler change from vented to combi.

The customer did have a shower which was running through a salamander pump.

The pump has now been removed as it’s redundant but water is mixing in the shower valve and it’s affecting hot water performance dramatically at all hot outlets even though the shower itself is working fine.

Obvious solution is to replace the shower valve but it’s a concealed one and it’s a Grohe so I imagine a replacement cartridge will be expensive.

I’m thinking a check valve on each of the inlet pipes might be a work around, is it a good plan or should I just get the customer to stump up for a new shower valve?

They are moving soon and don’t really want to do any unnecessary work but they would like their shower back (it’s isolated at the moment)

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Definitely worth a go.
Installer of the shower might have removed the non return valves in the shower to get the pump to trigger

Sponsored Links
How do you know it’s mixing in the shower valve? No other mixers in the property?
We actually discovered it when the customer asked us to tighten a loose basin hot tap.

I isolated the cold into the boiler which should have isolated the hot taps but when my lad loosened the tap connector it was still running!

We check all the other hot taps in the property and they were all running (albeit at a slow rate). There are two mixer showers in the house and luckily they both have isolation valves on them so it was easy to eliminate the culprit!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
We actually discovered it when the customer asked us to tighten a loose basin hot tap.

I isolated the cold into the boiler which should have isolated the hot taps but when my lad loosened the tap connector it was still running!

We check all the other hot taps in the property and they were all running (albeit at a slow rate). There are two mixer showers in the house and luckily they both have isolation valves on them so it was easy to eliminate the culprit!
Then yes, easy solution is check valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back